Saxophone Forum

by bcplayer07
(1 post)
18 years ago

soprano sax brand

HEY! I am a bass clarinet player for Govenors school for the arts .and I am going to be playing soprano sax for our jazz band.. do you have any recommendations on brands.. I am lookin to spend les the 1000 since my bass clarinet was almost 4000. I was looking into kessler and antiqua.. any help woudl be loved..

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxophone2001
    (31 posts)

18 years ago

Re: soprano sax brand

Look into Cannonball, I've heard a lot of good things about specifically their sopranos.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

Have you ever played a soprano sax? Going from the bass clarinet to soprano sax will be quite a switch. All soprano saxophones have intonation issues that would surprise most clarinet players. I took a risk and bought an E.M. Winston soprano sax because I didn't have the money for the more well-known and trusted brands. I've had it for about two years, and am very happy with it. Other than needing new neck cork when it arrived (it was used) it has needed absolutely no repair in that time, though it is not played every day. Both I and my daughter play the horn, and we are both very pleased with it. She played it in a "Hallelujah Chorus" ensemble for the school concert last Christmas. I have played it several times for church. I don't know where the dealers would be, but the company is based in Boston. Good luck in your search.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzina
        (18 posts)

18 years ago

I recently came across an Olds soprano and it works well for my jazzband. It is definitely different than the bass clarinet because your of the way you have to hold it and your embroshure will take some time to perfect because no matter what the brand, it won't sound as nice as you hoped without the proper embroshure... i know from my recent experience. good luck!

Reply To Post