Saxophone Forum

by saxbostic
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Jazz Mouthpieces for Tenor

Its my senior year and I've finally made my way to 1st tenor in our schools top jazz band. The bad thing is that right now the best mouthpiece that I've got is a C* and my director says that I need to get a new mouthpiece. So I was just wondering what everyones opinion on a jazz mouthpiece for me would be. I'm a pretty advanced player so no sissy mouthpieces. I was think about getting a jody jazz classic mouthpiece. Later. Peace out.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by thelittlemarchingone
    (50 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Jazz Mouthpieces for Tenor

For jazz I play a Vadonren Jumbo Java T55, and I LOVE IT! It's an awesome mouthpiece that really projects through everything, the only thing is that it's kinda bright, and I know a lot of people don't like it solely becuase of that - But the sound you get from it to me is really awesome. Also, it's really affordable, I think I payed around $100 for mine, as that's the best I could afford. If I were you I'd try out the line of Vandorens... Good luck on your search...

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

18 years ago

You could try out different Otto Link mouthpieces. I like the otto link RG but some people prefer the STM

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Dark Eyes
        (138 posts)

18 years ago

What's the diff. between the RG and the STM?

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

RG is brighter and edgier than the STM.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by napas14
          (24 posts)

18 years ago

I play an otto link 8* and it works great for me, although i'm thinking of getting a different ligature.

Reply To Post

3. by Joe Hamilton
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

Otto link all the way man, if you can play metal by god you should play metal. I have a STM and its metal with a 5 facing, i recommend around a 6 though. get vandoren ZZ reeds or alexander superial. Very good jazz mpc.

Reply To Post AIM