Saxophone Forum

by jwaltb
(15 posts)
18 years ago

newbie looking for advice

Hello all. I've recently dug out my old tenor and started playing again - signed up for our local community concert band and am looking forward to getting back into playing the sax. I also play guitar regularly at a local church and would love to get this worked into that venue. Anyway, that's what led me to this site. My horn is an older model I picked up at a pawn shop many years ago. It's showing it's age in that some of the action is slow and sticky - I'm assuming there are some weak springs needing replacing and pads needing changing. Anyway, I wonder if you can tell me if it's one worth investing the time and/or money in to get fixed up? It's an Elkhart by Buescher. Looks like the serial no is 76969 with a 30A underneath. Also, what is your opinion on someone taking on some of this repair work themselves? Are springs and pads available for this model? Pads may be more than I want to tackle but what about the springs? Is that something that's "user changeable"? Finally, after searching the net a bit, I find quoted overhaul prices ranging from 300 to 900 and up. Is it fairly safe to assume "you get what you pay for" from these guys? Thanks in advance for your feedback. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say. Jim B.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: newbie looking for advice

First thing I think you should do is put a drop of key oil on the moving parts--the rods--anything that pivots. This could be a good horn. Money-wise, I believe you'll get more for your dollar by fixing this one than by trying to replace it. Most reputable shops will give you an estimate before doing any work, and they'll tell you what is needed. I would take it in and ask.

Reply To Post

1. by jwaltb
      (15 posts)

18 years ago

Re: newbie looking for advice

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot.

Reply To Post