Saxophone Forum

by EricPenna
(3 posts)
18 years ago

Lyon & Healy Saxophone Serial Number

Hey!! I have a Lyon & Healy Sax Here...On my Lap. And I am curious to know what year it is...The Serial Number is 201715...Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by shell bug
    (1 post)

16 years ago

Re: Lyon & Healy Saxophone Serial Number

I have L&H I need to sell it, i cannot find any info. about the sax i have the original case, it seems to be in really good condition, its silver plated the serial # is 16338, any info would help thank you!

Reply To Post

2. by bruce bailey
    (13 posts)

16 years ago

That would be 1928-29. IT was made by Courturier in LaPorte IN.

Reply To Post

3. by mjroads
    (2 posts)

16 years ago

Hello, any help would be appreciated, I own a Lyon & Healy Alto with the serial number 50483. It says Liscence Pat. (Dec 8?) 1914. Low Pitch It has a flowered stencil with Lyon&Healy American Professional Chicago on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am wanting to know if it is worth investing in getting it cleaned up and re-padded, etc. Thanks so much!

Reply To Post

1. by bruce bailey
      (13 posts)

16 years ago

That may be a Buescher or other stencil. If the finish is really nice, then maybe worth fixing. If it looks bad, probably not. In mint condition these early ones may not even be worth $500.

Reply To Post

1. by mjroads
        (2 posts)

16 years ago

Thank you very much, the finish appears to be brass but is very tarnished. Everything seems to work but is slightly sluggish. It does appear to be a Buescher stencil as I saw some pictures on a different webpage that looked identical. What would be the recommendation on if I should clean up the finish? It sounds like it wouldn't hurt after all since it isn't worth much. Any idea of how much I should pay to have it overhauled? Thanks

Reply To Post

1. by bruce bailey
          (13 posts)

16 years ago

It is probably bare brass as they didn't lacquer them at that time however it could have been lacquered later on, afterall it is probably close to 90 years old. Prices vary on rebuilds but I would say $300 pads only to over $1,000 with a refinish.

Reply To Post

2. by bruce bailey
        (13 posts)

18 years ago

I would say 1929. I have 2 altos (one silver plate and one gold plated) and a soprano. I saw an original bill of sale for one a little higher that was Feb. 1930. I am on the road but will check my numbers as Mine is very close to yours. Teh were the ones made by Martin with the L shaped G# key. What is yours, an Alto?

Reply To Post

1. by cjsch0
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

Lyon & Healy Saxophone Serial Number

I have a Lyon & Healy American Saxophone, the serial number is 15315, does anyone know the age of this instrument.

Reply To Post

1. by werbians
            (1 post)

17 years ago

I have a lyon and healy soprano sax with the serial number 201152. I am just curious to know how much its worth? It has a silver body with brass keys and has some really cool engraving on the bottom. I'm not a sax player so I'm curious.....

Reply To Post

2. by cjsch0
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

I am not too sure of the range of the Sax, as i do not play, it was an inheritance, and have been curious about it, am looking to seel, do u know what one would be worth.

Reply To Post

1. by bruce bailey
            (13 posts)

17 years ago

Mine is about the same number. I paid $600 for it 2 years ago and it was in like new condition. I have 3 Altos like it. If you wish to sell it, let me know at baileyflutes AT juno DOT com.

Reply To Post

1. by George Lewis
              (1 post)

16 years ago

My wife has a Alto Sax made by Lyon Healy #201675. She played it in school, we had it refurbished in 2002 cost us $450.00.She has only played it once and wants to sell it.Any idea what it is worth?? Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by bruce bailey
              (13 posts)

16 years ago

Not all that much. I would say $450 would be about the top price for an alto assuming it is plated (not lacquered) and has no dirt or wear on the finish. I would assume it has the clown face engraving. If it is gold plated and has the pan-pipes engraving then it would probably be closer to $800 in mint condition.

Reply To Post

2. by cjsch0
            (4 posts)

17 years ago

If you dont mind me asking, what number is yours?

Reply To Post

3. by bruce bailey
            (13 posts)

17 years ago

The soprano is 201778. I have a silver plated alto with the clown engraving and a gold plated alto with the Pan playing the pipes both needing pads. I did complete an alto with the clown engraving that is silver plated with gold plated keys. This one is really near perfect with excellent plating and ready to sell! These are fantastic horns.

Reply To Post

4. by padless
            (4 posts)

16 years ago

I would like to know who made L & H horns for them. Was it Buescher, Martin, others? Thanks.

Reply To Post

5. by bruce bailey
            (13 posts)

16 years ago

Early ones ere made by Buescher. By the mid 20s they were labeled "Courturier model" and were made bu Courturier of (Laporte?) IN which L&H bought in 1928. The ones after the purchase had serial numbers over 200,000. I have a really nice soprano that plays great and 2 altos (one gold plated, the other silver) that I am selling. Most of these had the clown engraving on the bell but there are high end models that had Pan playing the pipes engraved. These had extra engraving and the neck octave key had 2 hinges. Contrary to opinion, these were not made by Martin even though the tone holes are beveled and soldered.

Reply To Post

6. by padless
            (4 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks, Bruce. The L & H soprano sax I am looking at has what looks like snap on pads (a little metal disk with a button in the center of each leather pad) which would be consistent with Buescher, but I am not sure really that they are snap ons. It has the "J" sax shape and the neck is permanently joined to the upper stack. The engraving on the bell is not very ornate and has incribed Lyon & Healy "Inspiration" Chicago USA over a flowery music lyre design. Serial # P21799, L for low pitch, and a patent number. Any idea when it might have been made. Does not have the left hand high F key and the low b and b-flat are on opposite sides of the bell. It plays but needs some adjustments. Any idea what it might be worth?

Reply To Post

7. by bruce bailey
            (13 posts)

16 years ago

The P in the serial number would indicate it is a Conn stencil similar to the Pan-American, a Conn without the rolled tone holes. It would have rivet pads with flat metal resonators from your description. The patent usually means it has drawn tone holes (1915) or drawn and rolled (1914).

Reply To Post

8. by cjsch0
            (4 posts)

17 years ago

My serial number is 15351, it is in immaculate condition for its age. If anyone is interested in buying it, please let me know.

Reply To Post

9. by padless
            (4 posts)

16 years ago

L & H Sax

What model is it? does it come with the original case? does it play? and how much do you want for it?

Reply To Post

3. by Sidtwo
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

I have a Lyon & Healy bari sax Serial #130239391707. It was sold as a Conn but I cannot find the word Conn anywhere on it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by bruce bailey
            (13 posts)

16 years ago

That number is not correct for a standard serial number. Look at the key guard on the low C on the bow. If it looks like a Mercedes-Benz emblem, it is probably a Conn. If you have a photo, e-mail it to me at baileyflutes AT juno DOT com and I will give you an idea.

Reply To Post

1. by Sidtwo
              (2 posts)

16 years ago

Hi - thanks for looking that number up. Try this one - P24240. I don't see any emblem like a Mercedes-Benz yet but am still cleaning it up. It has something engraved under the "Lyon & Haley" "Makers" "Chicago USA" that looks like " Coututier - Model" on the bell. It also has "Patent 1914 1119954". Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
                (575 posts)

16 years ago

It's not an engraved logo on the horn, but a wire key guard that looks like the Mercedes logo. This can be seen on the bow bottom C Key guard of the Conn New Wonder I in the following photo: www.saxpics.com/cpg143/albums/Conn/new_wonder/1/alto/gold/1420xx/gold5.jpg Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by visax
              (1 post)

14 years ago

I have one with serial number C 12648 L. What year is it? Anyone know?

Reply To Post