Saxophone Forum

by Dark Eyes
(138 posts)
18 years ago

Bebop vs. Big Band

Hey everyone. I've recently taken on the task of starting a survey that incoporates the differences of the Bebop era and the Swing era. I was wondering what everybody preferred (or just plain out liked better), the fast paced, melodic genius of the Bebop era or the beautiful, mind enhancing rhythms of the Swing era. If you have an opinion please post and explain why. Thanks in advance, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis):-D

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Bebop vs. Big Band

To me bebop is based on harmonic structure rather than melody; improvisation over chord structures. Swing rhythms tear me up; I danced the lindy hop and jitterbug with my mother as a child. I can remember sneaking sips off my mom's beer at my parents' parties and all the old ladies pulling on me to dance. Bigband reminds me of my childhood, and bebop my formative years. I love both genres equally, but swing is more fun dance to. Those rhythms and physical contact are part of life as I like to know it. Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxplaya81
      (110 posts)

18 years ago

LOL my old saxophone teacher who also ended up being my professor of saxophone in college and director of our jazz ensemble used to always tell us to quit sound like a white hyper swing band, (he is white). I'm personally into free jazz but if had to chose from the 2 it would definately be bop.

Reply To Post

2. by Dark Eyes
    (138 posts)

18 years ago

I would have to answer my own question by saying that I like Bebop a little more than the swing era. This is so because I feel that around this time artists began experimenting with new ideas and testing the limits of the contemporary solo. Also in this time musicians began to refer to themeselves as artists rather than entertainers (just alittle history).

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

18 years ago

I play Bebop solos on swing tunes. Bebop heads (melodies) are too hard to sell on a commercial gig. When you play the melody of one of the standard swing tunes, people may have heard it before and have a better idea of what you are doing when you improvise. Bird's original tunes were sometimes just standard swing tune chord changes and form with his own new melody added. I wonder if someone can be an artist and an entertainer at the same time? I think I try to because I want to make money for playing...........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by onionsmag
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

Myself, I prefer the bebop era over the swing era. The faster, more complex stuff is what I'm into

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Onionsmag, please fill in your community profile completely so we can tell who we are talking to....Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

18 years ago

If you listen to the classic Benny Carter recording "Further Definitions", you will hear a beautiful marriage of swing and bebop. The arrangements are pure swing, but some of the players are from the bop and post-bop period. Personally, I really love music that swings. For me, it has to have a groove.

Reply To Post