Saxophone Forum

by Dark Eyes
(138 posts)
18 years ago

New Sound Emerging!

Hello everyone! I've posted in the General Discussions area on an issue on metal mouthpieces and in here I was wondering if I could get some helpful advice on a slightly different subject. I have narrowed down a list of metal mouthpieces that I'd like to try and was wondering if anyone had any comparisons or facts on them. All are for tenor(seeing as how I don't have an alto) They are as follows: 1) Otto Link New York Model 2) Beechler Metal Bellite 3) Berg Larsen Metal SMS 4) Otto Link RG Metal Also, in addition to comments on the mouthpieces, could anyone give me any direct info on the relationships of tip sizes and sound (dark-bright). Seeing as how this is my first venture into metal I really don't know anything about many metal mouthpieces but I have heard that those listed are good. Oh yeah, if it helps I play a cannonball Big Bell Stone Series("The Raven") and medium LaVoz reeds. Thanks in advance, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by KactuSax
    (21 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New Sound Emerging!

That's a really nice horn you are playing on, I am actually purchasing the same horn. I currently play on an otto link rb 6*. I however own an RG 108. It takes a lot more effort to control the RG but I really like the sound. Lots of sound and I would not classify it as dark at all, not really a paint peeler but not dark. It does have a slight baffle, so the lows are bit more work to get clean and the highs scream. It is a really narrow mpc so you definately want to try this one out before you jump on it. It took some getting used to switching from rb mpcs. Hope this helps

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

18 years ago

You van't really go wrong with the new cannonballs in my opinion. They are really great horns and mine plays perfect. However, when I did get my horn I took it in to a repair man to see if anything was overlooked in the testing process of the company. He did find some minor leaks but that was about it so think about having a local repairman take a quick glance at it. Other than that it was fine and when I got it back it played even better than before. The altissimo really pops out and the sax really projects well. Plus the finish is gorgeous! Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by saxplaya81
        (110 posts)

18 years ago

I've actually played all those mouthpieces, if i were you i'd go with the berg larsen, but here's the deal with those, the best ones and most popular are the SMS series, these things are awesome, but you're gonna want to get one thats really open to get the most out of it, the most open is the 130/0, the 130 is the tip opening and the 0 means it has a high baffle, the baffles rate from 0-3 0 being no baffle, and the tips gofrom like 80 to 130, by 5"s, the more open ones are the 120, 125, and 130, FYI Lenny Pickett from saturday night live band plays a 130/0 SMS. Unfortunately theyre almost impossible to find so youll have to order it directly from Berg, and it'll take about 6 weeks and cost around $250. I also have a beechler bellite metal, those things are great mouthpieces too, mine is a number 9 which is the second most open, the have a really powerful in your face sound, but the response in the lower end and the altissimo isnt too great at first so i had mine refaced, i cant stand otto links personally, everyone ive played just didnt appeal to me. I personally like the berg the best the response is great from low Bb to G4 and it's powerful. Stay away from the M's though, those ones suck, get the SMS, Another mouthpiece you should consider is the Dave Guardala Studio, which is expensive, $300-$400 for the laser trimmed depending on where you get it, and up to a $1000 for the original handmade, which are no longer made, this one is popular because it's the one Michael Brecker plays, no need to say more about that one.

Reply To Post