Saxophone Forum

by Dark Eyes
(138 posts)
18 years ago

Boots is Freakin' crazy!

Hey everybody! Has anyone ever heard the song Yakety Sax by Boots Randolph. I first heard it on our local news station. They had this wacky day or something and they had someone being chased by a group of people with Yakety Sax playing in the background. It was hilarious=D Its not neccessarily a "freakin" hard song but it is a little challenging to learn by ear. I was wondering if anybody else had heard of it or has played it before. It's such a cool song. As I am learning it by ear I need everybody's vote of confidence(...big breath...) I hope that I can do it :-} Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxplaya81
    (110 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Boots is Freakin' crazy!

Yeah lol that is a cool song, its originally the theme from the benny hill show, i know it, if i have time i'll to transcribe it for you . but it probably wont be til the weekend.

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

18 years ago

Benny Hill Show. Awesome. You don't have to go through the trouble of transposing it for little ol' me. Besides, I think that musicians today should place more value on the ear. Thanks anyway though. So what do you think of the song? What's your favorite aspect of it? I always thought it was so cool because it always reminded me of a chase around in circles. Hahahaha. I still come to tears when I think of it. :-> Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

18 years ago

Boots had the hit on Yakkety Sax before Benny Hill used it as his theme music. It was a country hit. .......Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

... and Chet Atkins did a version he calls 'Yakkity Axe' (with Mark Knopfler, I believe).

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

You gotta hand it to Boots! He almost invented that country saxophone style by himself........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

I saw him in concert several years ago with an alto player named Richie Cole. He was fantastic! If I had a nickel for every time I've played Yakety sax and Tequila, let me tell ya! It's not really a very difficult song to play, although the original is in the key of G. (A, on a tenor) Boots was a country player, and playing with guitars and piano, most of his music is in strange keys for saxophone. The bridge is where the song gets a little trickey. It modulates to C (D on tenor) When I first started learning the song by ear, I played it in Bb (C on tenor) modulating to F.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by Roccosm
          (113 posts)

18 years ago

Boot's is in the top greatest player's ever. He like the Master's has total control of His Horn. His Country soulful Style is not to be underestamated , Get His CD with Richie Cole playing togetherYou will love it. Boot's rendition of Flamingo is beautiful.

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

18 years ago

Back when I was a young aspiring jazz sax player Boots was looked upon by myself and my fellow jazz players with distain. Sort of in the same way that now Kenny G is the target. After all, here was a guy who plays sax, makes lots of money, and dosen't really play jazz. Now I think both players fill a need and I wish them both well. However; ''being in the top greatest player's ever'' is a bit too much. Richie Cole is a true monster player. I may look for the CD......Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

6. by Dark Eyes
          (138 posts)

18 years ago

Who is this Richie Cole? I have never come across him or any of his recordings in my years of music exploration. Is it true that he's a ''monster player"? What sax does he play and even more important, what kind?

Reply To Post

7. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

18 years ago

Richie Cole is an alto player from New Jersey who in his youth was a protoge of Phil Woods. He got his first professional gig with Buddy Rich. Later, he billed his music as "Alto Madness". The recording with Boots is called "Yakkety Madness". He recorded some of his early work with Eddie Jefferson. He also did a recording with Art Pepper. Cole is a great player, but you can hear in his tone how much he got from Phil Woods.

Reply To Post

8. by kennyj
          (24 posts)

18 years ago

the Richie Cole...............

Richie is a marvelous player. If you want to hear some guys having fun, pickup Sonny Stitt's --in case you've forgotten how bad he really was-- cd... Stitt and Cole have an absolute blast on that album. Yes, Richie does have a rather Phil Woodsian sound. Phil gave Richie the mouthpiece he still plays on, years and years ago.... After Phil, Richie's my man!!!! ii-V-I kenny j
          kennyj

Reply To Post