Saxophone Forum

by johnsonfromwisconsin
(767 posts)
18 years ago

Looking for insight on some student horns

On a lot of these, I have my opinions allready. I just wanted to refer this to my peers to see what they thought of these: Yamaha 21/23 Bundy I & II Armstrong New Conn King 613 Vito Particularily, what do you know about these Armstrongs?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Looking for insight on some student horns

an armstrong was my first horn. great for beginners. it turns out that some are even jeilwerth stencils so check serials.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxophone2001
    (31 posts)

18 years ago

I had a Bundy II Tenor... Found it shitty. It's fine for a beginner, but that's it.

Reply To Post

1. by selmerfan
      (67 posts)

18 years ago

You'll do fine with the Yamaha horns, most horns will work for beginners as long as they have a tech go over them, fix leaks, set pad heights, etc. selmerfan

Reply To Post

3. by musicman_horton
    (19 posts)

18 years ago

Yamaha all the way. It may cost a little more in the beginning, but the instrument will outlast most of the others.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

Well, most horns that I'll find for my purposes will be diamond in the rough situations, and none moreso than Yamahas. The problem with them is that they command better prices, and can be priced downright unreasonable comparably for the condition they're in. They're definitely #1 on my most wanted list given they're excellence.

Reply To Post

1. by sultanofsax
        (31 posts)

17 years ago

I would like to say first off, that the japaneese Vitos are yamaha 23's, yes they are. I would suggest any yamaha. I have been playin sax for a long time, now playin 4-5 nights a week. I own several sax's, even a few vintage Pro horns, and i have allways had this YAS-23 that i cant bring myself to get rid of because it plays so well, and i have never had a problem with it. I got it at a pawn shop for like 350 about 8 years ago, and never had to mess with anything, and yes i do play it and it doesnt just sit. I would suggest a japaneese vito, over the Taiwan ones, they cost more, but they are just better quality. My overall opinion in all reality is..... GET THE HORN YOU CAN AFFORD. Thats all there is to it. I would rather have someone play on a horn that isnt all that great than not have them play at all.

Reply To Post