Saxophone Forum

by Marilyn
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Conn New Wonder Tenor - Al Gagnon

I have a Conn tenor sn131139 that I played in high school and college in the 60's. It has a woman in a 20's style bathing suit in the design. Based on the sn I think it is a 1924. What I am interested in is the engraved name Al Gagnon below the design work. I found one reference to a Montreal Band in the 20's called the 1923 Melody Kings Dance Orch, with an Al Gagnon playing trombone, and then going on to be the leader of his own band. The sax was purchased for me in Rhode Island about 1964. Any information or hints for further research would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Conn New Wonder Tenor - Al Gagnon

It is from 1924 and will be a new wonder series 1 (artist model) but i cant help on Al Gagnon Dave

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

18 years ago

I looked on Wikipedia, got nothing. Google mentioned a Realitor and an Attorney. You know, I looked up "Rene Dumont" yesterday and got mention of a Nazi sympathising manure slinger. They name saxophones after the silliest people sometimes! :D It sounds like a custom engraving job. I hear Conn did a lot of that back then....

Reply To Post

1. by Marilyn
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks Dave and Johnson. If you do a Yahoo search now for "Al Gagnon" + sax, you get the Canadian Big Band site I found earlier, plus now this Saxquest thread. Talk about Catch 22! I assumed the engraving was custom, and based on the date, I think it may have been done for the Al Gagnon from the Montreal Band. Would custom engraving like this add to or detract from the value?

Reply To Post