Saxophone Forum

by jwaltb
(15 posts)
18 years ago

sax locking up on D note

Help! I just had my Buescher Elkhart tenor overhauled. First time I played everything seemed OK - noticed the upper register (above middle C) was a good bit sharper than when playing without the octave key but all worked good. Second time I pulled it out to play the horn seems to seize up when I play with the right hand keys depressed (D,E,F)!!! When playing with just the left hand keys it works OK - with or without the octave. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this??? Thanks, Jim B.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: sax locking up on D note

Leaking G# key.

Reply To Post

1. by Mike P.
      (13 posts)

18 years ago

I would have to agree. Check out the G# key. There is a small screw that rests inside a small arm that holds the G# key down. Tighten it a little bit. If you can hold down the keys to D and trill the G# key and you notice that it moves a bit, then you have leak which is easily fixed by tightening that little screw

Reply To Post

1. by jwaltb
        (15 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks guys. You pretty much nailed it. I went back to the technician, and with the aid of a light found that that pad (and one or two others) was leaking. Brought it home and it's playing well. It is a good thing to have such a list as this to lean on...... JB

Reply To Post