Saxophone Forum

by KactuSax
(21 posts)
18 years ago

New or Used..HELP

So I am in need of some advice. I have a late 1960's early 1970's vito alto. I took it in to a repair guy and he quoted me at like $400 to fix it up. I am not a fix-it guy ( although I would like to learn) so I cannot do the job myself. Is this horn worth putting the cash into, or do I really just need to look for another horn, new or used. I am a senior in college and a music ed. major so gigging is not my future plan, but having quality equipment is essential. any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kactusax

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by gottydot
    (41 posts)

18 years ago

Re: New or Used..HELP

Well, I guess it depends on what needs to be done on it. do you know whats wrong with it? If not, ask the guy if he can tell you whats wrong with it first. When I got my sax fixed up (Fixing leaks, replacing cork + cleaning) it cost around $50-$60. If you really want that sax fixed up, and don't want to pay that much, try finding another person who will fix it for cheaper. Good luck :)

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

18 years ago

vito made some ok horns in those years, some might argue they still do. if it's a student model they made you might find one in good playing condition for that price or less. if it was one of the better ones and you pay 400 for a complet overhaul that would be ok. unfortunately very little info on vito's serial numbers exist. yu need to go on what the horn looks like to know who made it for them and what model it is. good luck

Reply To Post

1. by saxplaya81
      (110 posts)

18 years ago

You'd be better off just getting an older selmer like an older super action 80, you could probably find one for like between $1200-$2000, i've seen them on ebay pretty cheap, even though i dont recommend it but in your case it might be a good idea, that way you know you're gettin a horn of decent quality.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

Trouble with ebay is that you have little to guarantee that what you get won't be in disrepair as well. $400 sounds normal for a basic overhaul. As long as the tech is competent, $400 will get you your old Vito playing probably better than it ever did.

Reply To Post

1. by KactuSax
          (21 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks guys for all the advice. I am not really a fan of selmer horns, but they do make a quality horn. I really like the old sound of the vito just wasn't sure if it was worth the $$$. If anyone knows where I could find some information on serial numbers that would be great. I have taken my tenor to this repair guy before and he does great work ( he is a sax player), but thanks for all the advice!

Reply To Post