Saxophone Forum

by larrythesaxguy
(8 posts)
18 years ago

Vintage Conns questions.

Right now I am currently aware that the old conn 6m and 10m alto saxes are both great horns...beat only by the mark VI, but i dont know the difference between the two and have no clue about what years of these horns were better. What is the difference between the 6m and the 10 m and what years were the best for each?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Vintage Conns questions.

6m is an alto and 10m is a tenor, the supposibly best years were pre-1949 with rolled tone holes Dave

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

18 years ago

"beat only by the mark VI" there are some of us that don't agree with that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

He's just a kid in a high school band. They all read about stuff like 6M,10M, MK VI. when you're that age, you want it all .

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by swingstreet
      (315 posts)

18 years ago

I have a 6M, and it beats any Mark VI I ever tried. Sure, the ergonomics on the VI may be better, but the 6M, hands down, beats any Mark VI I ever tried, and I tried several dozen of them.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

18 years ago

The Conn 6M and 10M; especially the 10M tenor are both great horns, and personally, I prefer the tone over a Mark VI. The Conn's have a fuller, brassier tone to them than the Selmer Mark VI's. The action on the Conn horns is pretty good and dependable, although not as smooth or as light as the action on the Mark VI's. The keys might take some getting used to. They might feel a little ackward to someone who has only experienced more modern horns. I've been playing Conn horns since my very beginning, and perhaps because I am so used to the action, I find that I am faster on my Conn's than any of my other horns. I've also learned a few tricks over the years with the Conn action that can't be done on most other horns. They are fantastic horns.

Reply To Post Yahoo!