Saxophone Forum

by lillisax
(4 posts)
18 years ago

newbie mom looking for alto sax

I need to purchase a quality student alto sax for my 10 year old who is quite the musician. He has been playing piano for 5 years and the clairnet for two years (first chair). Which sax would keep him happy until high school. I don't want to have to upgrade too soon however he is just ten and has been know to leave his clairnet "laying around" while he waits to perform.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

18 years ago

Re: newbie mom looking for alto sax

IMO I think the YAS23 is a great horn=] I've used one sense I started playing and I still use it for marching band and I've never had a problem with it yet. Only drawback is its a tad expensive...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

18 years ago

I have a Bundy II that I could make a deal for with you, send me an email, the link is at the bottom of the post

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by lillisax
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

I asked at the local music store if they ever get any Yas 23's in and they said yes however they sell very quickly for over a $1000.00, way too much, considering that they go for around $500.00 on ebay. I have purchased on ebay several time with great results but a saxophone has too many moving pieces that can easily result in an expense repair bill. I prefer to purchase from an more reliable source.

Reply To Post

2. by Radjammin
    (255 posts)

18 years ago

I think we all want to help you. Can you give us a price range? That is really going to give you the best responces and us the a better idea of what you want. I know were only going to recommend quality horns, we just need to know a price range on what to recommend. Say " don't want to have to upgrade too soon" means different things to different people. Do you want to spend $400 on it or $4000? I can tell you there are quaility used horns from $500 - $2500+ Also are there particular manufactures you think he would like better? Does he want a shinny horn? (new vs. used) You will learn that saxes don't care how shinny they are to play good. Some clunckers can blind you with their shine while some trashcan rejects can play wonderfull.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by lillisax
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

Unfortunatly ten year olds tend to crave all things shinny and our son is no different, so shinny is our goal. As for price range, his clairinet is a Buffet E11 that I got new at WWBW for around 500.00 two years ago. I looked at their saxophones and they are about three times that for a new Yas 23. I was hoping to spend no more than 700.00 for his sax. So that leaves us in the market for a "like new" intermediate sax. Any help on brands would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

Have you considered renting a shiney new one from a music store--some let you apply the rental fees to the purchase price?

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

lilli, You're requirements are rather steep, but I think perhaps Kessler Music can help you. I've never dealt with him personally, but he has a glowing reputation here and at the www.saxontheweb.net forums. he has a few models of new instruments that fit your requirments. I've heard good reports about the quality and playability of Kesser's house brand of instruments. -No relation to Kessler Music, I know him by reputation only.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

here's the link: www.kesslermusic.com/html/saxophone.html Stop over in the SOTW forums as well. He does reply there from time to time and has built a loyal customer base.

Reply To Post

2. by lillisax
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Thank you for the link Johnson from wisconsin, I'll let you know if I purchase the horn from them. Any warnings of horns to avoid?

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

Hi Lilli, The list of horns to avoid is too long to account for properly. As far as I can tell, the names placed on cheap junk instruments change constantly, so it's usually best to stay with known dealers who stand behind their product. As I'm sure you know, having good technical service behind a woodind instrument is crucial. Generally, stay away from apartment store brands. instructors are invaluable in auditioning instruments as their expertise can spot problems. Even instruments like Yamahas can have issues that need to be addressed before it's good enough to learn on.

Reply To Post