Saxophone Forum

by Bollen
(39 posts)
18 years ago

The sax mute! Finally here!

If anyone's been actually looking for these, it's finally here. Not the crappy bag you put around it but actually a sponge like material you put inside the horn in 3 different areas. Takes off 50% if not more, although it provides a great resistance (clarinet like) it sure helps build up the tone even with annoying neighbors. Ha!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kdm2x
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Re: The sax mute! Finally here!

how much

Reply To Post

1. by Bollen
      (39 posts)

18 years ago

I paid 11 british pounds

Reply To Post

2. by mariehawks
    (1 post)

16 years ago

im looking for a sax mute help!!!

Reply To Post

3. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

How about a link (or any other details)?

Reply To Post

1. by Bollen
      (39 posts)

18 years ago

Terribly sorry! You're right. It's called the sax mute made by Lebayle (same as the mouthpieces) and their web page is saxmute.com unfortunately it's in french but lebayle.com is in english and they have a list of distributors. Hopes this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

18 years ago

That might actually work - it's definitely got to be better than those ridiculous bags! It'll be interesting to hear from people who actually try it...

Reply To Post

1. by Bollen
          (39 posts)

18 years ago

Well, that's what I'm saying. I don't sell it, I just bought it 3 weeks ago. It really helps to keep the air column in place as well. I've also experimented adding a beret on the bell and it's more quiet than a whistle with the inconvinience of not having the low Bb and a very difficult B. But this is only if you're craving to practice after midnight or something.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

Why don't you make dead baffles? I told you people before how to do it. To make dead baffles , you make a 2x4 frame. enclose it with 1 inch corkboard, and stuff it with insulation. The best thing to stuff them with is styrofoam pebbles. If you make baffles close to the height of you ceiling, you can isolate yourself in a dead box. I use a baseball once in a while for a mute.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by MarkLavelle
          (300 posts)

18 years ago

'Why don't you make dead baffles?' Baffles are great for a recording studio, but (a) take up a lot of space, and (b) aren't exactly portable! Also, I'll bet baffles don't cost much (if any) less...

Reply To Post

3. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

I'm lucky to live in a Mexican neighborhood, where loud music is part of life. We have the good neighbor policy that states " I don't call the cops and you don't call the cops." The people next to me had a full blown banda with folk dancers. They laid a plywood surface in the Apartment complex parking lot. Those banda players get real high on those clarinests and trumpets. The trombones put down the backbone. Any time that I see a Banda I request " Deep in the Heart of Texas" The bottom line is that nobody ever tries to hold up the music here. The kids practice in the parking lot. All the best to you with your practicing :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by wheretorobert02
          (1 post)

18 years ago

Does the bag approach not work? What about in tandem with the LeBayle mute?

Reply To Post

1. by greysax
            (6 posts)

17 years ago

Well, I found a silencer / mute for a saxophone mouthpiece (MOUTHPIECE EXERCISE, see David Liebman book: Your Personal Saxophone Sound). Allready have one. Easy to use, very easy to clean, sound is really soft and it is a great fun playing on it. Fits in my pocket and for sure I take it with me to my hollidays. Take a look on ebay.com under sax / mouthpiece / mute or at jazzlab.com

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

17 years ago

$60 for that?

Reply To Post AIM

2. by greysax
              (6 posts)

17 years ago

I've been looking the whole my life for a good working mute / muffler for a sax. Since I do a lot of mouthpiece exercises, the Silencer was the best that could happened to me. I got a really soft sounding tenor saxophone mute, educational video on DVD and a handbook with instructions and exercises. My wife and children are happy, our neighbors are happy and I am happy. All this for $60. I just returned from my holidays. Since I couldn't take my horn with me, I practiced every day for 10 or 15 minutes with the Silencer. Yesterday I played a 5 hours gig, got no problem with my embouchure. As I said: I'm happy

Reply To Post

3. by Bollen
              (39 posts)

17 years ago

This is definitely worth checking out! www.saxophones.co.uk/acatalog/Sax_mutes.html

Reply To Post