Saxophone Forum

by kd6tjc
(17 posts)
18 years ago

Help naked lady year 1936 vers year 1955

Hello thank you for your input. Ok Im looking at two naked ladys one was made in 1936 and the other was made in 1955. Ok I understand the 1936 has some rolled tone holes ect. My question is as far as play and tone ona pro sax. is the 1936 all that much better of a sax.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Help naked lady year 1936 vers year 1955

All things being equal regarding condition/pads/adjustment condition etc. there really isn't a great deal of difference in tone/mechanism/performance. Most is of a cosmetic nature save the rolled tone holes. Now I own 10M/6M horns from the 30's through to my 1967 Silverplate 10M Tenor, and I can tell you that the later horns play and sound wonderful, with sometimes better intonation than there earlier brethren. That being said, they aren't as praised by collectors as they fall outside the more coveted (read romanticized) "golden" era of ladyface horns. If you go for the 1955, and again if all is in good nic there is no reason why you shouldn't, make sure you get it for a good price. You didn't mention the finish/condition on either, or the type of horn (alto/tenor/baritone) so I can't begin to offer a valuation. Best of luck.

Reply To Post