Saxophone Forum

by jazzfool132
(144 posts)
18 years ago

Improvising Part II

Hello, my name is Josh and welcome to this continued discussion of improvisation. The reason I am branching this discussion off of the original is to prevent clutter. I have a few questions regarding how to efficiently practice in order to improve upon my improvisational skills. In a completely analytical (and by not means egotisical) sense, I feel that I am advancing improviser but I lack the basic foundation of music theory. Besides learning each and every scale and chord without having to think about them (which I am currently in the process of doing), I would like to know some other techniques to improve upon my soloing. Some of these techniques that I know OF, but which I don't know how to fluently are chord alterations when soloing (I am familiar with the flat 3s, flat 9s, flat 5s, flat 7s, etc.) Regarding chord alterations, I have a more specific question: Can you use a flat 7 in a major chord? Will that produce a bebop flavor in my solo? Can that be used as a passing tone? Thank you, help is always greatly appreciated! -Josh

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Improvising Part II

I wish that you would come to my house and prevent some clutter. :) There is no real formula for practice or improvising. I can tell you this; there are two basic formats. Those are vertical, which is chord spelling. The other is linear or modal which involves scales and modes. You need to know scales, such as major, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor, dimimished, pentatonic, and blues. You also need to know diatonic modes, and how to spell chords. Use what sounds good to you. You can learn one hundred words that rhyme with moon, but can you put them in a poem? My point is, no matter how much you know, there are also technique and tastiness involved. You have to develope a feel for it. Best of luck to you Josh.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with jamterry on that, but one thing I will say about your last question; no. A flat seventh in a major chord would just create some unpleasant dissonance. If you wanted to create a 'be bop flavor' in a major chord, you could use a major bebop scale, which uses a flat and natural 6th. It's just like the dom. be bop scale, but it alters the 6th instead of the 7th.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

18 years ago

What about a flat 9 or flat 5 on a major chord?

Reply To Post