Saxophone Forum

by budding_saxman
(7 posts)
18 years ago

the worth of a C-melody

so i just got a Conn straight neck C-melody sax and had it overhauled and i'm curious what the thing is worth. i suspect the value of the horn is probably around what i paid to have it overhauled (by the way, how much should i have paid to have it overhauled? the guy took off all the keys, dipped in silver polish, repadded and put in new felt & corks...?) the horn was made in 1923, is silver plated with a gold wash bell and with no dings (also has a 'fine tuner' built into the neck) also, if i wanted to play this thing, what kind of mouthpiece should i use? tenor? alto?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: the worth of a C-melody

You have a Silver plated Conn Straight neck New Wonder Series I C-Melody, which is one of the most desired of the C-Melody horns. A few years ago you couldn't have paid someone to take a C-Melody off of your hands, however recently they have enjoyed a bit of a renaissance and are being collected and played once again since the 1920's. Some horn retailers are selling these in working order for around a grand, although I wouldn't hold my breath for that kind of value....yet. You likely paid the tech to overhaul it about what the horn is likely to fetch ($400.00 to $600.00), but if it plays and looks nice, why not hang on to it and enjoy it? Short of buying a vintage C-Melody mouthpiece (not always the best choice), there are a few quality mouthpiece makers making them today, including Ralph Morgan. Some smaller bore B flat Tenor mouthpieces can be made to play well and in tune with these horns too. Here is an excellent site that you will find informative and entertaining: mysite.verizon.net/res8o1o8/cmelody2.htm

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

C melody saxophones are roaring 20's trinkets. The value is little or nothing. That's why they are so available. I guess that it is a collector's horn, rather than a players horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

18 years ago

That statement held water a few years ago, HOWEVER with several name players recording with them recently, not the least of which the likes of Jerry Bergonzi and Vince Giordano two name but two, they have become much more popular. The prices have started to rise recently as a result of this sudden rebirth, including a few additonal mouthpiece makers offering C-melody pieces within their lines.

Reply To Post

3. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

You can find a lot of Conn C Melody info at cybersax.com (including info on some new C mouthpieces). They seem to think that well-restored ones are worth $900 and up, but I have no idea whether they ever actually collect that much...

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

18 years ago

About two years ago I purchased a 1922 Conn New Wonder Series I off ebay for $300. The sax was just like brand new, except for a little tarnish. Most of the pads were the original white leather pads, and believe it or not, the horn actually played...badly, but it did play. I cleaned and polished the horn and repadded it with Conn Res-O-Pads. I purchased a newer C Melody mouthpiece, and with bass clarinet reeds, the intonation on this old horn is actually very good. It is in exceptional condition. I was offered $1000 from a tech friend of mine, although I have no desire to sell it. C Melodies are becoming more and more popular.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by pease-pudding
        (6 posts)

18 years ago

Not only is there a revival in C Tenor use there ia a new one in the pipeline and is expected next year. With regard to mouthpieces www.aquilasax.com has a new hard rubber piece at $35 including postage, these are faced for c reeds which are also available, as are c gig bags. As the proud owner of both a buescher and conn stencil I would say keep it and play it. I would also recommend www.cmelodysax.co.uk; a wealth of material and links.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Yes, I was trying to find my link to Cmelodyman's U.K. site, thank you Pease-pudding for posting that! He has a wonderful site, and has done a lot of research on the various Stencil models produced as well. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

Oops, make that "Cmelodysax's" site, I got their SOTW IDs confused.

Reply To Post