Saxophone Forum

by GoldenGirlKat
(9 posts)
18 years ago

Baritone Saxophone

I was just given a baritone saxophone and am trying to find out exactly what it is, I think it is a 1925 Conn but am not sure so have included the numbers I found on it. The numbers on this horn are: 1119954 B 40505 L Pat. Dec. 1914 It is also missing the neck and would like to see if I can find one for it. Does anyone have an idea of where I can get one and about what it would cost? Thank you for your help and information. Jim

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Baritone Saxophone

The serial number puts it's date of manufacture around 1917 to 1919, which would likely make this a Wonder (this is too early a date for it to be a New Wonder series 1 Baritone). Does it look like the octave key for the neck is mounted on the body loop, but the pip for the octave was likely on the missing neck? If so it is a Wonder model. The 1914 Patent date is for the Haynes drawn tone hole process used to make the tone hole chimneys, and the B stands for Baritone with the L referring to "Low Pitch" tuning. Getting a neck for this is going to be tough, which is one reason why I never suggest buying a horn without it's neck unless you are already by coincidence in possession of a suitable replacement. I could direct you to some custom neck makers such as Gloger of Germany, but these hand made gems will cost you more than the horn is worth. Might I suggest that you post a want ad on Sax on the Web, a site I'm on the staff of, as these turn up there once in a blue moon. Best of luck. Michael/Saxismyaxe.

Reply To Post