Saxophone Forum

by marcusb
(4 posts)
18 years ago

recommanded pads for old king super20 alto sax (silver neck and bell)

I need to know what pads really work on a kingsuper20 alto saxophone (silver bell and neck) were the original those plastic brown resonators or metal? also like to know a good mouthpiece for a king super 20 silversonic tenor now i play link nr 7 metal , anyone ever tryed a guardala on a king ?.. greetings marcus

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: recommanded pads for old king super20 alto sax (silver neck and bell)

The brown plastic dome resonators were proprietary to Selmer Paris horns until they became available to techs aftermarket. As a result, most Super 20's and Zephyrs had either flat metal or simple rivet resonator pads. The type of resonator you decide to go with in a re-pad is entirely up to you, however one prerequisite is that you use a thinner pad (around .160), as Kings, Martins and Conns all require the thinner pads to seat and seal properly.

Reply To Post

1. by KCHORNS_REPAIR
      (11 posts)

18 years ago

When I first bought my Super 20 tenor (Silver neck and bell) I installed metal resonators and the horn was extremely bright. I installed plastic resonators shortly after the first repad. I also play a Vandoren Jumbo Java T75. That horn with that mouthpiece gives me more of a rock/funk sound. Hope that helps Scott

Reply To Post

2. by sonicsax20
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Hi, I also have a King super 20 silversonic tenor and i will go for flat metal resonators when it needs a re-pad. As for the mouthpiece i have a Dukoff miami florida D9. I had a link 7 for a while but i find the Dukoff is loads better for me.

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
      (291 posts)

18 years ago

Try firm kangaroo leather pads (to prevent sticking and for long life) and solid brass Noyeks to bring out the full potential voice.

Reply To Post