Saxophone Forum

by saxologist
(13 posts)
18 years ago

Martin Handcraft about 1930 Splitbell with High F

Anyone recommend how to set this great horn up. Getting a nice overhaul. Silver with Gold bell. Worth?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Martin Handcraft about 1930 Splitbell with High F

These are lovely sounding horns. The key work isn't up to the level of the later Committee and The Martin models, nor is the intonation, but nothing that one can't learn to overcome with minimum fuss. Martins are some of my very favorite horns, and they were really built to last. Martins, like Kings and Conns, require a thinner pad (.160 or so), and benefit from plain flat metal resonators (like, but not limited to, the Conn Reso-pads.), or the Selmer Brown plastic dome resonators. Nothing that is going to destroy that beautiful, dark, lush tone. I'd recommend Steve at World Wide Sax, Dave at Junkdude, or Gayle at Vintagesax for restoration and setup of these horns. All do a top quality job. You aren't going to retire on what you make on these should you desire to sell it. These rarely go over a grand, even when Silver plated, unless they are mint/extra fine condition and possess unusually elaborate engraving.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Martin Handcraft about 1930 Splitbell with High F

BTW, I see you are located in Florida, so Gayle might be close enough to you to hand deliver the horn as she is located there as well.

Reply To Post