Saxophone Forum

by The_MarkVI
(80 posts)
18 years ago

audition and what from the ferling?

im playing 1 for sure, but now i need a technical one... im thinking maybe 12 but i want to hear your favorites from that book

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dark Eyes
    (138 posts)

18 years ago

Re: audition and what from the ferling?

Huh? Can you be a little more specific? Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by saxmachine777
      (57 posts)

17 years ago

Referring to Ferling's "48 Famous Studies" for sax or oboe. I think #12 is actually a smashing choice. I am fond however of #8 and #16. The tonguing in #8 is great excercise, and you can take that one just about as fast as you physically can while retaining artistry and expression. I remember playing it for an all-state audition and playing it at about 144 or a bit faster and it was exhilirating to play. I do think any of those are capital choices for audition "fast" examples. NOTE: Most auditioners (and this is just from my experience) already know that sax players have fingers. It's our way, and the way of our chosen instrument. The thing is built to be virtuosic on the digital end of things, so remember to find something that shows off the tongue technique as well.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxmachine777
        (57 posts)

17 years ago

This is just an afterthought (my apologies for double posting), I just remembered that I also played #1 for that same all-state audition. It's a marvelous one for expression and I find most auditioners love it (as I've continued to use it based on my own fondness of that study). #1 and #8 have been good to me, even though key-wise they are a bit elementary, they may still be my favorites after that all-state experience.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
      (141 posts)

17 years ago

I've always been partial to No. 4, especially because of the leaps greater than an octave in measure 10 . . . if you are playing the horn correctly and do not have to manipulate to execute that measure, you will impress your panel.

Reply To Post