Saxophone Forum

by perkysquirel
(26 posts)
18 years ago

Frederick L Hemke Reeds

Any body have any experience with them? Are they in the same league as vandorens and rico royals?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Frederick L Hemke Reeds

I studied with Fred Hemke, but I have never tried his reeds. I use Vandoren traditional and La Voz. Rico is for entry level players. I'm sure Hemke's reeds are good, as he a saxophone virtuoso. I just heard from him a few weeks ago, and I need to write back. I have an old Selmer metal mouthpiece like he uses and it gives the alto a great sound. I'm sure Hemke reeds are good, but stay away from rico. Practice On!!!!! Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

18 years ago

I have had good luck with them.

Reply To Post

1. by thelittlemarchingone
        (50 posts)

18 years ago

I used Hemke reeds for awhile, and I think the Vandorens are at a higher level... I would certainly use Vandoren's over Hemke or La Voz.

Reply To Post

2. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

18 years ago

Jamterry, aren't LaVoz reeds also manufactured by Rico as well as the other "lower" level reeds you were talking about. I play on LaVoz as well and I find that they do play better than the orange or blue box Ricos, but why do you think that is? Is it the way they file the reeds or the cane? Does anyone know? Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

18 years ago

The La Voz have better cane selection. I like the Vandoren traditional better

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by Godling
      (1 post)

11 years ago

I recently bought size 3.5 Hemke reeds for my alto & they created a very fat round sound like no other reed I've tried, & I've tried most ricos & vandorens. So I thought I'd get some for my Tenor & go for the maximum hardness seeing as Tenor is so easy to blow. I bought a pack of Hemke tenor size 5 & was surprised at how thin they were. They were easy to blow as I expected but oh my God they were ten times deeper & richer than any other reed I'd ever tried. The sound is unbelieveably rich warm & deep.

In the upper higher register notes they are a little thin & weak sounding for the screaming sax sounds needed for certain types of modern music. But if you're mainly into the lower register & lower notes in the upper register on the tenor then the Tenor Hemke size 5 reeds cannot be beaten for depth, warmth, fullness & richness,  in my opinion. 

With the alto sax the 3.5 Hemke's are superb in the full range of notes on both registers I believe. 

Volume wise the Hemke reeds have more volume than other reeds in the lower notes. They also hit the deepest note with far more gravity & more ease than any other reed I've used. 

All the reeds in the box had good playability & I recommend everyone try Hemke Tenor size 5 reeds if they want to know what bass can really sound like on the tenor sax.

And if you want your alto to have more body & a fatter sound with growl & grunt in the lower notes then try Hemke 3.5.

That's what I have found anyway 

p.s I'm using a metal mouthpiece                    

Reply To Post