Saxophone Forum

by PAW
(7 posts)
18 years ago

sax to flute

I haven't been on the site for a while. I presently play alto and sop sax and have been entertaining the idea of picking up the flute. Just wondered if there are sax players out there who can tell me if this is an easy transition. I have been looking for a forum similar to this one for flute players but haven't been able to find one. Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much !!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by thelittlemarchingone
    (50 posts)

18 years ago

Re: sax to flute

Hey there, I haven't made the tranisition myself, but I know a lot of people who have, and they've been able to do it with relative ease - The hardest thing being adjusting your chops. The fingerings are basically the same, so that makes it a lot easier to adjust. Sorry I can't be more in depth about it, but I can tell you that the people I know who have done have been really glad that they made that choice, and have been able to do it fairly easily. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by PAW
      (7 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for your input. I am thinking I just may take the plunge and buy one. Now I need to research and see what kind is the best for a beginner like me. I agree with you on the part about getting the hand of the mouthpiece. The couple times I have held one and tried it, it has been awkward getting some sound out. Practice makes perfect, I guess! Wish I could find a site like this one concerning the flute...............

Reply To Post

2. by saxmasterfunk
    (18 posts)

18 years ago

I play alto tenor and bari sax. I started playing a flute and it was hard at first but if you are proficient at sax you will have no problem learning the flute.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by saxmasterfunk
    (18 posts)

18 years ago

P.S. The hardest part of the flute was learning to blow just right. but once you get the hang of that it is relatively easy to learn the fingerings, there a little messed up but nothing insane.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by PAW
      (7 posts)

18 years ago

Now you've got me all excited! I need to start shopping............. I may just go with a nice looking one at the local pawn shop.......

Reply To Post