Saxophone Forum

by geo488
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Which size Meyer mouthpiece to get?

Hello, I have a Yamaha alto YAS-62II and am currently shopping for a jazz mouthpiece. I m pretty set on a Meyer, as I have heard rave reviews about them. I'm not sure which size to get though. I mostly want a very versatile mouthiece that can blend real easily, and then project real well for a solo. What are the differences among all the different sizes? Also, I see alot of people here praising the 5M. Is that one the most popular?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Which size Meyer mouthpiece to get?

The Meyer 5M is the standard. I use it, and so do most alto players I know. Phil Woods uses it, Cannonball Adderley used one, among many others. You can't go wrong with it.

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Which size Meyer mouthpiece to get?

I play on a 62 alto as well (an earlier generation however) and use a Meyer as my all-purpose setup. For years I played a 5M until someone gave me a 5S . . . not easy to find, but I preferred it to the 5M. As I started doing much more tenor work, I found I needed a more open setup on alto so that I could have consistency in switching between alto and tenor on the same gig or recording session. I now use a 6M as my all-purpose setup (although I would LOVE to find a 6S). Going with a small chamber as opposed to the medium chamber will give you slightly more projection, but as I said, they aren't easy to find, primarily because of the popularity of the medium chamber. As far as tip opening is concerned, it all depends on you as to how you like the mouthpiece to take the air . . . that's a personal preference. I would recommend to go no smaller than a 5 (a 4 would be to closed for projecting for a solo), and no larger than a 7 (you would be sacrificing control for volume). That's why most Meyer owners stick to a 5 or a 6 . . . Good luck.

Reply To Post