Saxophone Forum

by Sur
(1 post)
18 years ago

Suggesion for Purchase

Hey Saxlovers, I an Sur n new to this melodious World, i picked sax an year back....n..i've an old alto sax. I need to purchase a new sax to practice. So Can U People Suggest a type N its probable Price.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by wildman
    (12 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Suggesion for Purchase

If you really caught the sax bug, I'd buy a damn good horn. Because even if you have to break the bank you'll be glad you did years later. I'm a Selmer freak myself. I'd go top end. Credit card that sucker now. You won't be sorry. I sent for one which listed for 7 to 8 grand and ended up paying alittle more than half the list price. I love the horn just too much.

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

I guess Wildman bought a new pro line Selmer-Paris horn. I've wondered about the Reference models in particular, but have not tried them. They'll set you back about $5000+ for a new one. I hear that the automated manufacturing now in use reduces the variables found in the older hand assembled horns. If willing to buy a vintage horn, the Selmer Super Balanced Action or Mark VI models are the favorite of many, many players - including me - for overall tone and performance. Good Luck & try to love practice.

Reply To Post

1. by wildman
      (12 posts)

17 years ago

I realized I never mentioned the horn that I bought. It is the model 74, reference 54 and I love it a tad better than my mark vii. Both horns were overhauled. The ref was turned to tin foil when my truck was totalled. Four months later it came back from the factory better than ever. The resonators were replaced with metal ones from the stock plastic ones and no lacquer. I love the new sound. Lacquer or no lac makes a difference. I like it without lacquer.

Reply To Post

3. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

If you don't want to spend $3500++ like we're talking about - you can get a $1000 Yamaha which is a good horn with a nice action and a decent sound. Don't know the model number for sure - the one I heard was said to be a step or two up from their entry level student model. Get a private teacher --- it's the most important thing. He might know about a great deal on a lightly used horn too. Or he might have more info for your purchase than us. Just don't buy a real cheap horn - especially if it's some goofy color. I've had my Selmer for 44 years now - consider that you might keep one a long time too. Wild is right - buy the best you can afford. Best of luck.

Reply To Post