Saxophone Forum

by Jaxsax
(5 posts)
18 years ago

Help with Wurlitzer Alto

I have a Wurlitzer alto which I bought used in 1948. on the bell it is engraved "Wurlitzer American, Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. U.S.A." Below the thumb hook there is engraved the serial number 88791. Below that is "LOW PITCH" It came to me in a Martin, Elkhart case. Can anyone tell me who made this horn and when? I would appreciate any information about this horn. Thanks, Jack

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tbone
    (120 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Help with Wurlitzer Alto

Jack, Wurlitzers were stencil horns. They were made on a bid basis by other manufacturers. Most were either Conn, Buescher or Martin made. Conns followed the S/N scheme like an "A" above the S/N for alto and an "l" below for low pitch. Beuschers look for the Beuscher fin on the bow and a wire keyguard on the alt. F# above the keyguard. Martins, look for soldered on bevelled toneholes. If you're still not sure a few pics would help.

Reply To Post

1. by Jaxsax
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

Tbone, from what you say, it looks like I have Martin-made horn. Thanks for the info. Incidently, what does "Low Pitch" mean. Was there a "High Pitch"? Jack

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

Low pitch means you can play in tune with modern tuning, where A=440 or 442. Orchestras in the past tuned to 457, and horns were made differently to play in tune with them

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Jaxsax
        (5 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks, Definition. . . . Jack

Reply To Post

2. by Noah012
      (1 post)

6 years ago

I don't know how old this post is, but I've come into possession of a Wurlitzer Rudolph Alto, and I've been curious who made it. I saw your response, and was curious if you could share those images to see if I could Identify it.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

6 years ago

This is a 12 year old post. \Wurliter American, Premiere American, American Premier, were molstly Martin Stencils.

They are great horns.

Reply To Post