Saxophone Forum

by TechSci
(2 posts)
18 years ago

Synthetic reeds

What are your opinions on synthetic reeds? There are several brands available such as Bari reeds or Fibracell reeds. Supposedly they have advanced and are better than they used to be. I was thinking of them as a backup. Is there a brand that is best?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Synthetic reeds

I don't really like synthetic reeds, but Hahns are really nice.

Reply To Post

2. by syrasax
    (75 posts)

18 years ago

I've tried Fibracell and Bari and of those two, Fibracell, by far and away was the best. I keep one with me just in case although that said, I hope I never have to use it as I'm not a big fan of the synthetic reed. I'd much rather torture myself with cane reeds. :)

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

18 years ago

I once had a lessons teacher who was doing a gig and he was using a fibracell reed. Then, all of a sudden, it quite working. He told me he tried to play and he blew as hard as he could but he couldn't get anything to come out. I still stay in close contact with him and he still hasn't touched the plastic reeds. He probably hasn't used them in ten or more years. Anyways, I don't think that fibracell reeds give you the rich tone quality that a cane reed gives you. My opinion is, no matter what brand it is, leave it for marching band. I used to use one for pep band and marching band because of their endurance. As in the post above, I would much rather torture myself with cane reeds. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by sheldonoliver
        (1 post)

18 years ago

Need to check out Legere reeds - they claim to be superior and have testimonials from professionals to back up their claims.

Reply To Post

1. by wildman
          (12 posts)

18 years ago

Fibrecell is the only reed I can blow without chirps and sqweeks. I've gone through stages of spending big money on the quest for the perfect reed. Something subconscious tells me natural is the best but chirps and sqweeks gotta go. I can't detect anything negative as far as tone. The Fibrecell sounds as true as a natural reed. I might try the Legere someone suggested. I blew on a Bari reed and it was a bit buzzy. Charles

Reply To Post

2. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

For the longest time, I played on Bari reeds and they sounded as good as the cane reeds I was playing at 1/10th the yearly cost of natural cane reeds. At that point in time I didn't see any reason to conform to what everybody told me I should be playing on as I was saving a ton of money. When I told other players what I was playing on they wouldn't believe me until I showed them my mouthpiece. Plus, I didn't have to go through the usual "reed rituals"; just clean it off and go. Then, one mystical evening playing covers for a professional party, the sound stopped. Subsequent Bari reeds that I tried later proved to have no tone. My love affair with the dark side was at an end and I had to join the masses of real reed users.

Reply To Post

3. by norm thompson
          (1 post)

17 years ago

BARI has been trying new ways to make reeds, the first few trys not so good if you can call me at 813 2202524 i will send you one from the new production and youll be swingin again

Reply To Post

4. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

18 years ago

Bari reeds sounding as good as cane reeds? Crazy...I have a Bari reed 2 years ago that I used for Marching Band one day and quit using it because I couldn't put up with the sound. For kicks I put it on a Dukoff and I think I could give anyone a headache in a second...I'd stay away from Synthetics...nothing sounds like a good ol' cane reed IMO :-)

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

I could send along a couple of my CD's that would change your mind on how they sound. But like I said, all at once, my tone changed with them and now I'm back to cane. Do not judge ones equipment choices too harshly. The sound I got with them at the time was large, round and warm. And I can also assure you that while I might not be in my right mind, I most definitely am not crazy when it comes to tone.

Reply To Post

6. by sultanofsax
          (31 posts)

17 years ago

I play in blues/rock bands in bars, most of the time, on a MK7 tenor with a Dukoff D8, selmer metal lig. and a Bari reed. I find that they do not work well for my small jazz group... (www.killerbs.tk) but they have a nice bright edgy sound for the bar bands. They are certainly more consistent that cane, and last alot longer. I got mine from amazon.com for like $4 each and i couldnt ask for more. Like i said Jazz combos... eh wouldnt do that... but the rock and roll blues band.. oh yes. Thats just my opinion and i am sticking to it. Oh yeah they kind of give my bottom lip a funny feeling, and they are chapped for like for days after a 3 night bar gig.

Reply To Post