kindly throw more light on dis stating their differences

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: jazz and blues

I've been hoping some music professor would jump on this question. But - just remember, Blues music can be a form of jazz, but sometimes is more akin to rhythm and blues which is bordering on rock'n'roll. I would say jazz almost never borders on rock'n'roll - except for trumpet man Bill Chase's group Chase in the 1970's. So, is this all clear? Really, both of these forms can feature improvisation, but don't have to. Most blues music follows what would be called blues chord progressions - but I guess jazz could use similar progressions. Let's try it this way: BLUES - Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Lightnin' Hopkins, Robert Johnson, Arthur Crudup, John Lee Hooker, Roy Milton and Willie Dixon among many others. JAZZ - Zoot Sims, Gerry Mulligan, Woody Herman, Stan Getz, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, Bill Evans and more. RHYTHM AND BLUES - The Dominos, The Clovers, The Robins, The Five Keys, The Five Royales, The Flamingos, Charles Brown, B.B. King (notice he had to be included here to make you think). And later - Fats Domino, Sam and Dave, Big Mama Thornton among many more. Listen to some of these artists' recordings and report back to us on the differences. Anyone else feel up to this question?

Reply To Post