Saxophone Forum

by franciante
(6 posts)
18 years ago

Old saxophone tuning help

hey guys i just got on evette & schaefer saxophone, its very old(around 1910 or 1915) the problem is that it might be on the old french tuning (A=435) its a beautiful soprano sax and i wanted to ask you if there is any way i can tune it on A=440, y have been told about different methods but i want to know different options, please help me!!! hehehe.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Old saxophone tuning help

Does it improve at all if you push the mouthpiece on as far as possible?

Reply To Post

1. by franciante
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

If you look at a picture of the saxophone "saxpics.com, "evette & schaeffer low b models (sprano sax)" you can see it has a very small cork, i dont have enough space to move the mouthpiece much. i dont know what to do, does 5 cents sound really ut of tune?. the thing is that the sax is now getting repaired, so i dont have it on my hands, now im just trying to get ideas heheh.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

You will need to try it, and listen well to see if it can be in tune (or use a chromatic tuner). If the cork is too small, you might want to try some teflon tape to be able to adjust in both directions to see what sounds best. Another possibility (if you can't get it right on key) might be to tune the horn 1/2 step off, and transpose everything. It might be a pain, but at least you could play the horn with other instruments...

Reply To Post

1. by franciante
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

thank you very much, now, i`ll chage the pads and try and see how it works, somebody told me that i could also put a thin layer of cork on the inner walls of every hole (i dont know how they are called in english hehe) and by reducing the diameter of this holes the tuning would change, i sounds logical, but have any of you tried it? because i want to know if it changes the quality of the sound and the natural sound of the sax. thanks anyway

Reply To Post

2. by franciante
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

thank you very much, now, i`ll chage the pads and try and see how it works, somebody told me that i could also put a thin layer of cork on the inner walls of every hole (i dont know how they are called in english hehe) and by reducing the diameter of this holes the tuning would change, i sounds logical, but have any of you tried it? because i want to know if it changes the quality of the sound and the natural sound of the sax. thanks anyway

Reply To Post