Saxophone Forum

by chiamac
(586 posts)
20 years ago

Re-engraving and gold plating a conn 10M (1941)

so I got this horn 6 years ago when I was still in high school for $800... which is a steal since the guy I bought it from said it was almost like a new series 3 tenor he had. It sounds great, feels good to play, and just screams with my old metal otto link 8star. BUT some idiot decided to re lacquer (sp?) it sometime and when they did this some of the engraving almost got buffed out. Yes this person deserves to get slapped and I would track them down and do that if the horn didn't sound this good. so is there a way to re-engrave this horn? It wouldn't be something I woudl do, of course. I'm just wondering if this has been done and how it would affect the sound. as for the gold plating... it's something to talk about, any comments or suggestons? I'm NOT planning to do anything for a while (lack of money and other intrests) just something I'm considering doing to it in a year or so.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Balanced
    (4 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Re-engraving and gold plating a conn 10M (1941)

I specialize in hand engraving saxophones in the tradition of the Elkhart masters. I have recently completed two 10M reengraves. The deco pattern is actually easier to engrave than the earlier floral scroll work type engraving. (It was changed in favor of the simpler deco style to save money on production costs.) I usually charge around $150-$250 depending on the level of detail requested. Earlier 10Ms have more philigree which can be added. The Lady too, can be somewhat augmented (if you get my meaning). Call me at Saxology (510.843.2436) or Email at [email protected] if you have more questions. Peace, Eric

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re-engraving the horn is like covering up an old tattoo because you have a new girlfriend. You can't trust just anyone to it, and they can only do "so good" a job with what they're given to start with. I'm sure you'll find people who will do it, though. Conn 10M's are common enough that for the engraving and gold plating expense, you might want to spend some time shopping around for a more minty 10M. As long as it's already been relacquered once - why polish a turd unless there's some extreme emotional attachment. Modest, typical engraving isn't going to affect the sound to any noticeable measure.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

Ask mark who that woman in elkhart is that does engraving. I can not remember her name for th elife of me, but she is the best. for plating, go to andersons. If I were you, I would just sell the horn and get a new one. though if I were to replate it, I wouldnt do gold - only silver.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

I'll have to track that lady down, do you know anything about cost? (so I can plan for it, or forget about it) as for plating... nothing IMO beats a brushed gold finish. But that's just me. Also gold is easier to work with than silver (something about it sticking to anything) It's also something I could do myself given the right equipment and studio. as for a new horn, there are things that are more important to me at this moment than replacing what I have now. Besides I don't think I could find a new model that I would like better, and if I did I couldn't justify spending $3000 on a slight improvment. Besides then I wouldn't have a topless lady on my horn=) Also I have this dj hobby to spend money on which is more important to me than getting a new horn. What I have works well, and until a company pays me to play on their stuff (which isn't likely) what I have will suit me fine for a while.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Nope, I think you ahve gold mixed up with silver. There are very few things that gold will bond to, whenever you get a gold plated horn, there is not brass under the gold, never caus gold cant bond to brass. There is ususally a layer of silver under it. Gold is also extremely soft, wears off quite quick, silver is the most durable plating there is, but it is a lot of work. And if your horn sint already brushed, then you would have to bead blast it before you could get a brushed finish. For the longest time i thought that the brushed finish was attained by a chemcal process, but I was wrong, you have to have the matte finish first. If you want to do some elctroplating, you have to become hazmat certified or whatver it is. When you plate, you deal with hydrogen cyanide, EXTREMELY dangerous stuff, perhaps the most dangeorus subtance you can find as it can kill you in less than an hour. You will also need Silver nitrate which is a rather noxious substance, and the gold salt, which I can not remember what it is called. You will also have to get checked once a month or something like that for the effects of cyanide poisoning. You know what they gas murderers with? Hydrogen cyanide. Thats what hitler used on the jews too. Yu could find a 10M easily for 2500.

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

so you're saying that two metalsmiths each with over 20 years of professional experence, teaching and producing pieces for sale, are wrong? *yawn*

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Yes. More likely, you misunderstood what they said. I will deal with your other post later, took long enough on it that it signed out and I lost my post.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Google your way around the web under "saxophone plating" and you'll get an idea of the cost. I would be suprised if you can get a horn blasted, gold plated, and engraved for under $1500.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

thanks, too much for this horn... lol *rolls eyes at saxmans last post*

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

Sorry I should ahve clarified in ym last post. Gold wont bond to saxophone brass. There is a bunch of other junk in it besides copper and tin. And my god you are a cheap ass. This horn has some kind of twisted value to you, but you wont spend money on it. Why even spend money on a 10M? Why the hell even ask? I thought you know a couple of metal smiths. Because you obviously learned everything from them, why even ask us about it? Don't argue when you ask a qeustion, you defeat the purpose. 1500 dollars is redicously conservative, I would have estimated some along the lines of 2000. Ask mark, email him. He will tell you that there is always a different plating under the gold, that is unless the gold has been alloyed with something - I can imagine putting enough different metals in it to make it stick, but then that kind of defeats the purpose.

Reply To Post

5. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

I got the horn for $800 plus trading in my old one. If I'm going to put that much money into refinishing a horn, I'll get one that needs less done and save money. Plus then I'll have two horns to share the fun insted of one. Also like I have said in other posts, doing this is way down on my list of things to do. My life dosn't revolve around my horns, not even close. It dosn't matter if it's $1500 or $2000, I just don't have that much money... and if I did there is this nice cd player that I would like for $1200, and a new mixer that is $1800 (or something) But I still can't spend that much when I'm still in school and don't have a job. Ooo I forgot about the motorcycle I want to get, that's $7500... And that would be more fun than getting a sax redone. IMO

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM