Saxophone Forum

by Birdie
(4 posts)
18 years ago

Conn 6M Alto Sax

Hello. I'm new to this website and new to the world of saxophones. My son will be starting to learn the instrument next week and we need to get one. I have a Conn 6M alto sax. The serial number is E 355036 L. It is the "Naked Lady" model. This sax has been down in a basement for about 25 years. My step-father used to play in a basement band. I have taken it to a local music store and they told me that it could be playable with some new pads and springs. I guess I'd just like to know how old it is and if it's worth cleaning up. I tried to clean it up with some brasso but there are still some areas that have a little bit of green. What would be the best way to get that off? I would apprieciate any help that anyone could give me. Thankyou.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by dgallego
    (27 posts)

13 years ago

Re: Conn 6M Alto Sax

I would definitly get that one fixed up. It sounds like the designators place it in the 30's. If it has a microtuner on the neck it likely is. The E was was the Designator for an alto as long as it is centered ABOVE the serial number. If the L is centered below, it is a low pitch. i e A=440. This is a great horn. I will warn you that it does have some quirks but they are nothing that can not be overcome. My in real picky about mouthpieces with the microtuner. Because of the design of the horn it has a wider body then the newer horns so it can be a handful for some kids. When you get it rebuilt go to a tech that speciallizes in Saxes. It is money well spent to get it done right. I do not have much respect at all for the student class horns as a general rule. Lots of trash. The only student horn that I liked was the Yamaha Alto and Tener. Easy to play. I am not a teacher, but a long time amatuer Jazz and Rock player.

Reply To Post

2. by Tbone
    (120 posts)

18 years ago

I'm assuming the E is actually an A. When Conn went to the letter prefix in 1963 they only used five digits. I'd say you've got a 1953. These are real monsters as far as tone goes and well sought after. In tip top shape they're worth $1800-$2000. Find a good reputable tech, there's actually many of them out there. And, For God Sakes, don't let some salesman talk you into trading it in on a Selman! Where are you located? Maybe one of us could point you to a good tech in your area.

Reply To Post

1. by Birdie
      (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hi. I double checked the serial. There is definitly an E centered above the numbers and an L centered below the numbers. I'm thinking that this would not be a good instrument for a beginning 4th grader to be hauling back and forth to school. I'll get it fixed up and let him play this one at home. I wouldn't sell or trade it. Looks like he'll be renting this year. Oh, I'm in the Cortland New York area if anyone knows of a good repair shop somewhere around this area. Thanks again for your help.

Reply To Post

1. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

18 years ago

I lived in Westchester County for a couple of years, in Hastings. I don't know of any techs in Westchester, except for Sam Ash in White Plains, and they are not reliable as far as I'm concerned. Take the Metro North to Grand Central, then walk to W. 46th near Broadway, to Roberto's Woodwinds. He's a top-knotch tech and will do the job right. I have a Conn 6M and it's one of the best saxes ever made. It's fine for learning on, because it's a well-crafted horn and it has an awesome tone. Roberto can also assess its true worth. Don't waste money renting, just get this horn fixed properly and your son will be playing a horn he can turn pro with if he gets that far.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

a few quick things here... I think your horn is older than what has been mentioned above, but another member could confirm that, or a quick google search when I have time. I would suggest renting for at least a little bit, here is why (and it depends on the condition of the horn). School band, let alone grade school, is not a great place for a pro horn. They get sat on, dropped, hit with chairs, thrown around in their case, thrown around not in their case, and moved a lot. A 50-60 year old horn may not like that too much! what condition is that horn in anyway? Nothing wrong with getting him something more of used student line horn... just my .02 and no disrespect is meant to anyone here! =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I agree that the saxophone is likely a 1953. Yes, it would be an "E", rather than an "A." They used to stamp the Key (E for Eb) rather than the voice (A for Alto). I have a 6M from about that time as well. I find it to be not a fragile horn, although I didn't receive it until I was in high school, and might have better appreciated the value of a horn. Mine has needed very few repairs in the 30 years I've had it. If your child is good at taking care of things, I would have no problem having him take it to school. This should be a great horn, with wonderful sound. A newer "student" model might actually be disappointing, since he might not be able to get as big a sound.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

I forgot to mention, be sure to get the horn insured, with replacement cost insurance. Some people really like this horn...

Reply To Post

4. by Birdie
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Hi. Thankyou all very much for your help. My son's band instructor took a look at it and said it was definitly a good horn and well worth fixing up. I am a little nervous about having him take it to school. Once we fix this one it will be for him to use at home or for concerts untill he gets older. Right now I'm looking into renting or other options. I know that most don't approve of ebay for buying instruments but I hate having to throw away $200.00 to rent when I can buy a good used one for about $100.00 more.

Reply To Post

5. by Stevie D.
          (2 posts)

18 years ago

Hi I'm a Cortland music teacher and I play locally- actually tonight at Lucky's in Cortland. I specialize in Woodwinds I'm mostly a sax player. I have a similar model Naked Lady at home. I could take a look at it if you'd like. Steve Daniels I'm in the book.

Reply To Post

6. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

Actually, I've had good luck on Ebay, three saxophones through them so far, and all have been even better than what I expected. Check out their return policy, examine the text and the pictures closely, ask questions and if they don't bother to answer, bid on a different one. Stick with the good brands, though (those listed under High School Saxophone "Jim's list of approved saxophones". I'm not sure if he has EM Winston on there, if not, I'd add it). You don't want any of the brand new ones for $200--mostly junk IMO. Newer Conns aren't as good as the old ones, but I know someone who has one, and she is happy with it.

Reply To Post