Saxophone Forum

by amhi
(1 post)
18 years ago

Tanaka?

My dad bought a saxophone for me a few years ago on ebay.. being young and having never picked up a sax, I didn't know at the time that this probably wasn't the smartest way of going about buying a sax, but it's done now. Luckily, the saxophone has a lovely sound and has never given me any trouble. It even had (well, still does have) an extra key that made it possible for me to reach F#, whereas all my fellow tenor saxophone players could only reach an F. But now that my band days are over, I was just wondering who on earth made my saxophone, what the model is, its history, etc. The case, and an engraving on the horn, says "Tanaka". That's all I really know about the saxophone. A search on google hasn't produced anything of consequence. Anyone ever heard of this brand? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jslease
    (1 post)

7 years ago

Re: Tanaka?

I bought a new Tanaka tenor sax a couple years ago and have yet to find out anything about who makes it. I, too, would like more information on the Tanaka brand.

I have heard that many times a famous sax player (or other instrumentalist) will have a company create a brand with their name and make a limited edition. There is a musician named Yasuto Tanaka from Japan (I think). I'm wondering if this be the case with him.

By the way, I love my Tanaka. It's very easy to play. The keys are fluid and move easily in faster pieces. It has a really good sound and in only 2 years I've had it in the shop one time for a minor air leak that I could have caused myself. Mine is the black nickle plated with silver nickle plated keys. It's a beautiful horn.

If anyone knows any information about the Tanaka brand, I would love to find out more.

Reply To Post