Saxophone Forum

by Ron_mooney
(8 posts)
18 years ago

Recommended mouthpiece for Cannonball Alto?

Unfortunately, I broke my mouthpiece on the way to a gig. I'm playing nothing but jazz right now, and I've always kind of wanted a metal Meyers mouthpiece. I've heard that some prefer hard rubber for an alto. Mine is a 1998 Cannonball. I have pretty good pitch control, I just need a good protruding jazz sound. I would also like something that isn't too rough on the low notes or up in altissimo. Any reccomendations?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dark Eyes
    (138 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Recommended mouthpiece for Cannonball Alto?

A hard rubber meyer would be nice for a cannonball alto. Nice sound. Metal, however, may create a sound which is a little cacophonous. I would try the hard rubber. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by Ron_mooney
      (8 posts)

17 years ago

Got it...

Got it (Meyer 5M) - love it! Thanks.

Reply To Post

2. by red_1854
    (1 post)

17 years ago

i bought this new "raven". it came with a facing 5 mouthpice, and i have no idea what that means.

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

That #5 facing refers to the tip opening - the distance from reed tip to mouthpiece tip - often measured in thousandths of an inch. #5 might equate to about a .075 tip, which is slightly more open than the old Selmer C* that many students started with, and actually favored by some pros. If you check around, you'll find charts on the subject. I don't have one handy, so this is a guess. I would also guess that most pros use a #6 to #9 tip. There's actually a chart on the mouthpieces used by old and current pros at the website of the Lamont School of Music at Denver University. Remember - the more open the piece, the softer the reed that should be used, generally speaking. Good Luck.

Reply To Post