Saxophone Forum

by Sax_Shark
(134 posts)
18 years ago

Repair Career

Does anyone have an idea of what an annual salary is for an instrument repairman? I know that it depends on a lot - location, business, etc. - but I just wanted to get an idea of the field. Any and all responses would be appriciated. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Slausonm
    (51 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Repair Career

Wow! Repairmans annual salary turns into buying a C-Melody? When I left the repair shop in Elkhart in 1989, I was making about $35,000 a year. I took a severe pay cut to go into a family business and stopped repairing ful time. I now repair part time and sell a few instruments to suppliment my teaching income. (not music) I worked in an overhaul shop that repaired everything. I did mostly big brass and specialty repairs. For about 5 years after I left the shop my old boss would send me repairs to do that my replacement couldn't do. My boss has since retired and sold the business. I found the repairs to be too repititious after a while. One tuba looks like the next after a while. Matt

Reply To Post

2. by KCHORNS_REPAIR
    (11 posts)

17 years ago

$25,000- $40,000 a year I know some make more and I'm sure some make less.

Reply To Post

1. by EAGLE_WISARD
      (8 posts)

17 years ago

are you a shop or work out of your house can you help with a problem onweahter a 1922 c melody is worth 200

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

I don't believe I'd pay $200 for a C Melody, unless I really wanted one and couldn't find one for less.

Reply To Post

1. by EAGLE_WISARD
          (8 posts)

17 years ago

it rearly was beutifull even with all the tarnish but they said needs repad and maybe some springs im in this for my grandauter

Reply To Post

2. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

17 years ago

Pass on it and get her an alto. If she gets into a school band there's no C-mels there.

Reply To Post

3. by EAGLE_WISARD
          (8 posts)

17 years ago

to follow up she was playing clarinet and wanted to step up to tenor sax which i got her, had to get 200 doller nockoff in time for her 13th birthday since then got her a conn alto and a wood clarinet incass she wants to go back .i still have them she only gets one at a time

Reply To Post

4. by EAGLE_WISARD
          (8 posts)

17 years ago

thanks tbone i did pass on the c mel...now if i what to buy a basket cass and rebuild forher myself where would i find info on how to do that

Reply To Post

5. by EAGLE_WISARD
          (8 posts)

17 years ago

so did i rearly screw upbuy not buying cleavland king with most of pads laying in the cass for $340

Reply To Post

6. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Rebuilds take considerable skill that is best learned by experience. I don't belive you'd be happy with the results of trying to buy a "saxophone kit"...

Reply To Post