Saxophone Forum

by mattMrozinski
(35 posts)
17 years ago

where would be a good place to look for a beat up old sax

something with "vintage appeal" and a great "patina" (ok so i've been reading e-bay ads.) i guess. Like an old mark VI for cheap, that still plays at least or after some decent repairs. probably not relacs because i keep hearing about how relacs basically suck and aren't worth it. Yeah, i know i could start vintaging a horn now but by the time i'm old enough to hold on to a horn for fifty plus years i plan to be dead. Yeah us young people were just so impatient.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

17 years ago

Re: where would be a good place to look for a beat up old sax

You already named the place to go, if you dont remind spending a lil more on th purchase for the repairs. Ebay!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

relaqs are not necessarily bad, in fact, if done by a professional, may result in a better horn, as the brass is protected.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

17 years ago

I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a "cheap Mark VI". You might find a Mark VII or an older Selmer Balanced Action or Super Balanced Action "cheaper" but not "cheap" If you want a nice vintage horn without spending a lot of money, look at the older Buescher Aristocrat models from fifties or before.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by MarkLavelle
    (300 posts)

17 years ago

For rock bottom $, I think your best deal is going to be a direct purchase from an owner (or the estate of a deceased one). In other words, want ads or Craig's list. It requires nearly infinite patience, but the hunt can be interesting in itself...

Reply To Post