Saxophone Forum

by brianb
(6 posts)
17 years ago

Sax mic

Do any of you recommend a good saxophone mic. I have used shure sm 57. I was looking at a Sennheiser e908B and a shure Beta 98H/C. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Sax mic

Are you looking for a mic for live or for studio purposes?

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

17 years ago

SM 57 or 58. The industry standard - any sound man worth his salt will know how to set you up. Not necessarily so with anything else! Live or studio, it'll get the job done.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

17 years ago

I have tried several different mics and the one that I like the best so far is the Shure Beta 58. It's not as directional as an SM-57 or Beta 57, and isn't as quick to feed back or distort as the SM-58, which is also a great mic. For wireless, it's pretty hard to beat the Sennheiser, but I can't seem to get the sound out of it that I can the Shure Beta 58. I haven't found any mic that even comes close to Shure. I've tried EV mics, Audio Technica. AKG....nothing compares to the Beta 58. It's the best vocal mic on the planet!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
      (141 posts)

17 years ago

I'm assuming you're asking about for live purposes . . . The SM-57 is a good warhorse, can take a beating, and is inexpensive . . . if choices are limited, I generally default to an SM-57. My personal choice when dealing with sound people in the industry is a Sennheiser 421--most good sound people will carry those with them. HOWEVER, my preference for live if playing with a mic on a stand is a Sennheiser 441 . . . I'd buy one for myself, but I use a clip-on mic for live work when I have to provide my own equipment. I carry an AKG D-409 in my bag (I have an old Shure SM-98 as a backup) which is a dynamic mic and does not require phantom power. I have previously owned its condenser counterpart, the C-409, and have also played through the current C-419, and for my money, the dynamic version of the AKG is superior to the condenser version--much fatter and warmer (the D-409 is actually a little less expensive than the C-419 too). Other clip-on options include what AudioTechnica has--they have a variety of clip-on mics built off of their 35 capsule. I've played on a number of them, and they've worked fine, but I wasn't necessarily impressed. I talked to Tom Scott a couple of weeks back (he's a former AKG user), and he swears by the AMT Roam system . . . it's wireless, but the mic capsule is rumored to be the best one out there . . . a number of sound engineer friends have been encouraging me to move in this direction for wireless . . . Hope this helps. Good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by CajunSax
        (76 posts)

17 years ago

i got the AMT Roam 1 Elite - clip on, no wires, no feedback, great range...i can walk all over the club...even went into the kitchen at sound-check at one gig... can stand right in front of a stack and no feedback. The great AMT ring shock mount and a Samson transmitter/ receiver. Bonne chance!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

17 years ago

on these same lines. im looking for a very inexpensive way to record myself for practice purposes. preferably i would i really like to record it on my laptop, any reccomendations on software and hardware?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
        (141 posts)

17 years ago

Here's an inexpensive way to do it: download Audacity (you can find it for free online), and buy a cheap computer mic (around $10) . . . that should serve you fine for practice purposes.

Reply To Post