Saxophone Forum

by Sonja
(7 posts)
17 years ago

Hohner President Saxophones

Hi guys, I have a Hohner President tenor sax, given to me years ago by a fellow saxophonist. I'm trying to sell it now, but can't find any information on these saxes. Does anybody know anything about them? Are they of any value?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by miky801
    (1 post)

14 years ago

Re: Hohner President Saxophones

hi! Id like to buy your hohner saxo tenor and could you please send me pictures obout it heres my e-mail addres [email protected] thans

Reply To Post

2. by tonsmink
    (2 posts)

12 years ago

can anyone add some info to this as i am considering a purchase   what level of instrument are they

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

12 years ago

Are you looking at a particular Hohner, or just in general?

Reply To Post

3. by perusaxos
    (1 post)

11 years ago

Hi, I am interested in your Hohner President Tenor sax, I request a few photos about that. My e mail is [email protected]. I from Peru and I want to know . How much does it cost ?

Reply To Post

4. by musicwriter2001
    (14 posts)

17 years ago

that is a kielworth stencil. if it is in good shape you should be able to ebay it for a decent amount.

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
      (291 posts)

17 years ago

Not really! These horns were made by MAX KEILWERTH after he left Amati. They were built in Trossingen, Germany, NOT at the Keilwerth factory in Nauheim. Made by someone named Keilwerth? Yes. Keilwerth stancils made by the Keilwerth company? Absolutely not. They're still pretty good horns, though.

Reply To Post

1. by Sonja
        (7 posts)

17 years ago

OK, thanks for that, it's very useful. However, excuse my continuous ignorance, but do you also know when M.K. was making these horns?

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

17 years ago

I BELIEVE (but am not absolutely certain) that from about 1956-1965 is essentially correct.

Reply To Post

2. by Sonja
          (7 posts)

17 years ago

Great, thanks ever so much!

Reply To Post

2. by whisper
        (3 posts)

16 years ago

I recently acquired a tenor sax marked as a Dearman President with a serial 24364 marked on the bell and the neck. A bit of internet detective work makes me think this is a Keilworth stencil circa 1955 based on the serials at

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

Keilwerth, yes. Julius Keilwerth? No. Differrent company and different factory from the Keilwerths we know today. They're very nice horns, BTW. I always thought they were superior to the Julius Keilwerth horns of th esame era. They certainl;y offered more features. I've owned several of them over the years. It's a shame they didn't catch on.

Reply To Post

1. by whisper
            (3 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for that - though it makes my detective work a bit spurious. i.e. if it's not the Keilwerth of today then presumably the serial number is not connected with the url I posted. Maybe it's a Hohner serial number ?

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
              (291 posts)

16 years ago

The serial numbers are unique to that series.

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
              (364 posts)

16 years ago

Here is a link to much more information at saxpics.com, one of my favorite sites. It not only gives a wealth of information, but also great pictures as well. www.saxpics.com/Keilwerth/index.htm Saxpics was put together by Pete Hales who is a true expert on vintage saxophones of all makes and models, and a real nice person to boot. John

Reply To Post

3. by whisper
              (3 posts)

16 years ago

Looking at the Hohner images and checking out the serials at

Reply To Post

4. by oorwullie
              (21 posts)

16 years ago

interesting , my very first sax was an ancient keilwerth alto which i wrote to the factory about dating it more exactly than just pre- war.they couldn't help me since all records had been destroyed....... i didn't know that it was a keilwerth made the hohner president, i picked one of these up several years ago simply because it had a gold bell which i reckoned couldn't be a bad thing. but i have another question about a different sax, new post time i think!

Reply To Post