Saxophone Forum

by kennyz
(31 posts)
17 years ago

Brihlart Tonalin for Alto- Correspondences among numbers and tip openings?

Hi to everybody, first of all I have to say that I don't generally take lot of interest on vintage mouthpieces, but lately I am very curious for this model and I would like to try one of it. Currently I use a 0.85" opening (2.137 mms circa) on my alto and so I would like to know which number corresponds to this tip opening... I would really like to insert this question in a more ampler matter... There is a tip opening that works better on vintage saxophones? In other words, would it be preferable to use a more closed or larger opening? I don't want to enter here on the famous matter of "What mouthpiece works better on vintage saxophones?" it is a too long discourse .and already broadly treated .. Personally I have a lot of different mouthpieces to try when my vintages will be completely reconditioned... Here I would like to limit the discourse to the correspondence of the numbers and tip opening of the Tonalin and if it is better to use some widest or closer opening on the vintages. I know that a mouthpiece with a "classical" chamber (f.e. the Soloist or Link) it produces a certain type of air column , therefore we suppose to use this type of mouthpiece to speak about the best opening :-) Many thanks whoever wants to intervene and help me

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Brihlart Tonalin for Alto- Correspondences among numbers and tip openings?

Unfortunately there are variations from manufacturer to manufacturer. A .085 tip would be about an F in Selmer terms and around a #6 in Link terms, if I recall correctly. I do not know how Brilhart did it. If someone sees this who knows where the chart on this subject can be found, please post. Was it mouthpieceheaven.com maybe? - - Later.

Reply To Post

1. by kennyz
      (31 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Brihlart Tonalin for Alto- Correspondences among numbers and tip openings?

Hi Donnie, yes you are correct, Selmer is F and Link should be 6*. Mouthpieceheaven show the 5* (0.78) as max tip opening for Tonalin but i'm perplexed... I've looked a number 3 on E-bay that have (for the seller ) a 0.75.... Really I think that it is very difficult to find the original correspondence because they have frequently suffered alterations

Reply To Post