Saxophone Forum

by freshpuppy
(12 posts)
17 years ago

New Sax Player

Hi, I've just started playing the sax.... After playing the clarinet for twenty-eight years. I am doing quite well, I think...except for the fact that my bottom teeth seem to dig into just under my lip! I don't usually notice that it is tender and sore till after I've stopped... It's just a different position than the clarinet and something I will surely overcome. Is this normal? Glad to be here....I'm lovin' the saxophone....

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by crazy3rboy
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: New Sax Player

I've played the sax for years and i recently started playing clarinet. I have noticed that my teeth start to hurt after playing clarinet for a while. since ive experienced that from sax to clarinet, then i guess it would be normal to experience it from clarinet to sax. and also im not sure of your sax experience but if you havnt been taught the correct embrochure for sax then you should. that could help a lot and help your tone.

Reply To Post

2. by hightor
    (6 posts)

17 years ago

Re: New Sax Player

You may be using a bit too tight of an embouchure. Although the two intruments have some superficial similarities you can get a good sound on the sax with a more relaxed lip and you don't have to "push up". By the way, I've always noticed that doublers who start on clarinet and later pick up the sax tend to sound better on both instruments.

Reply To Post