Saxophone Forum

by HugoTSF
(4 posts)
17 years ago

Alto Sax Info. Bundy 2..need help

I recently purchased a second hand selmer Bundy 2, and I have a few weeks to finalise the buy. I can't seem to find any list price for this product..so I don't know if I over payed for it? (700$ canadian). I've been playing for 4 years, but I never bought a sax of my own so I also don't know if it's a keeper or if I should save a little more money and find a better one. Can anyone help me out?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Alto Sax Info. Bundy 2..need help

If you've been playing for 4 years, wait and get a better horn. A Bundy/Bundy 2 is a school marching band caliber horn, and you can get Buescher Tru-Tone (a great, OLD horn, OLD though it may be, it beats the hell out of a Bundy) for around $800 (USD) if you know how to shop.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

17 years ago

what horn are you using now, and what do you see yourself doing in 3-5 years, and is 700 (in your money) a lot to you? (about $620 usd www.x-rates.com and what condition is that bundy in? This could be a great buy for you, or something you way want to wait on, but in the mean time would need a little more info.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by HugoTSF
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

Well up till now I played with one a friend lend to me. (a Yamaha like the ones the schools usually have) And I am a musician and I figure I will continue playing shows and recording. I could have wasted more money than 700$ but the seller tells me it's a great deal. It dosn't seem to be in that good of a condition, the coating is all scratched and changing color. ..So...I figure it's not the best sax suited for me?

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
      (282 posts)

17 years ago

Hugo- I agree that you might want to wait and get a better horn if you see yourself continuing to play beyond high school. But the Bundy II could be a lot better than what you used to play - could be! I've seen re-padded old Bueschers and Martins for a little over $1000 (U.S.). As far as newer horns go, lightly used intermediate line Yamahas (Model 52 and 62) can be had fairly reasonably and might make a better choice for you. Avoid the early Japanese horns. Also avoid the very cheap horns, no matter where made. $700 is about a minimum I would think. Ralph Morgan has a posting on here somewhere concerning the Bundy II. He's now a mouthpiece maker of great merit, but helped design U.S. made Selmers. His discussion might be found in the High School Sax section. Speaking of Selmer, would you consider waiting for a pro-line horn like the Super Action 80, Series II? These can be obtained for $1100 and up depending on condition. I saw a very nice, lightly used one for $1500 recently. This is a horn that you might find to be worth keeping for 40 years, like my Mark VI. If you want to get really good, you should consider private lessons. If you find an instructor you like, talk with him about all this. Teachers know more than old sax players who you might find at Saxquest. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by HugoTSF
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

alright thx to all of you

Reply To Post

2. by HugoTSF
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

And thx Donnie I will wait and try to find the super action 80, series II...i'm not that good at shopping online...but I'll search for it.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

17 years ago

I played a Bundy II in HS and have paid some attention to the market for them. $630 is pretty much the top of the market for these instruments IMHO. I have seen them sell retail at second hand stores for as little as $400 in "playable condition", $200 in Pawn shops, and a little less on Ebay. All the examples weren't pristine, but they were what you would expect from horns that have been processed through a decade or more of marching duty. My thoughts on the Bundy II is that it's rugged, can play in tune, and can play satisfactorily when serviced. The keywork is comfortable, but the action is stiff and sluggish in places. I recommend it as a least-common denomenator of recommendations as there are much better horns to be had, but much worse as well! The problem with any Bundy is that you may buy a horn for just a few hundred dollars that needs yet a few hundred more in servicing due to the use it's seen. Make sure it's in top condition for that price with most lacquer left and no real ugly spots. You will have a hard time recouping that cost when it's time to trade up in any case, but it could be a good horn.

Reply To Post

3. by findingundernemo
        (1 post)

15 years ago

i have an alto sax that is a Bundy 2, but its practically new, and just needs a new cork at the neck, and a new mouth piece. but if you want it, you can have it. just name the price and i'll argue. Just offering:) plus i need the money. thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

Hugo posted his little request in '06. Do you really think he's still looking for the perfect Bundy?

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

15 years ago

well... since hes looking for the "perfect" bundy... yes, yes i do.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
              (930 posts)

15 years ago

Cuber, your right again! It will certainly take a long time, maybe even forever to find the perfect Bundy.........Kelsey
              Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by cuber
              (653 posts)

15 years ago

the word impossible comes to mind

Reply To Post