Saxophone Forum

by slf79
(7 posts)
17 years ago

Oxidization!

Hi, Im a new member and have been playing for approx 9 months and love it.. Have just noticed some oxidization in the bottom of the bell on a join.. Is this a major problem or justa fact of life.. I clean it after I use it all the time? Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Oxidization!

SLF- It's really tough to get all the saliva off of and out of a horn after playing - but that's what you'd have to do to avoid oxidation. The inside of the bell is where I first noticed a problem, about 43 years ago now. I designed a swab to clean and dry the inside of the horn after use. Beware getting anything stuck in the bottom bow! But eventually the absolute necessity to cut and run to another gig or etc. had me doing only a quick hanky through the mouthpiece and a commercial swab through the neck. I even quit faithfully drying reeds out before storage at times. My 44 year old Selmer tenor has been through a lot of saliva and still plays sweet when I want it and nasty when I need to. But every time I get a chance, I wipe each key and around the tone holes, dry each pad as best I can and yes dry the inside as well as the tools I have will allow. But I still have to pack up fast sometimes. - - - - Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by slf79
      (7 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Oxidization!

Thanks for the advice..

Reply To Post