Saxophone Forum

by Conclave
(45 posts)
17 years ago

sonny rollins tour

if you get a chance check out rollins he's playing great. heard him play last night. i don't know how many shows he is doing though. they're usually very few these days.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by threetenors
    (18 posts)

17 years ago

Re: sonny rollins tour

For anybody wanting to travel a bit, he's playing at the Vancouver Jazz festival (BC, Canada) in june 2007... it's gonna be great, and there might still be tickets. Check it out on ticketmaster...

Reply To Post

1. by saxskillzyamaha
      (52 posts)

17 years ago

Yeah. His new album is great, and I hung out with him backstage after the show.

Reply To Post

2. by birdwho
    (15 posts)

17 years ago

I don't want to be blasphemous here, but I saw sonny earlier this year and it wasn't hip at all. Sonny played alright, but I think age as taken his playing level down significantly. If your shocked and saying " well give him a break hes over 80", go check out roy haynes, who is also 80 plus years of age, playing a more physically demanding instrument, and KILLING!!. Sonny's band was on autopilot when I saw them at a huge concert at lincoln center, and I was trying to give the music every chance I could. I was very happy to have seen a legend play in person, and I would have played to if they were throwing all that money at me, but I'm not going to kiss the shows ass, because it was boring.

Reply To Post