Saxophone Forum

by justplay
(3 posts)
17 years ago

the sound I am looking for

I have a keilwerth shadow tenor and I am trying to have a sound like Javier Vergara, plays with Pancho Sanchez, and or like the King Curtis sound ...both have great edge, and the only way I can explain it is a raspy funk...any specific mouth piece, and or reed combinations any of you have found that match my quest ?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmachine777
    (57 posts)

17 years ago

Re: the sound I am looking for

I would look for something metal, open, with relatively short facing and a fairly high baffle. Prices will vary greatly. I've played on a steel Berg Larson 130/0 SMS that I sould use for more funk type stuff, but I'm not sure if you'd get the husky quality in the sound. Either way, those are some general guides for that kind of edgy projection you want. For reeds, I like Vandoren ZZ/JAVA, but that's just my personal preference (everyone has one). Others probably have more/better/different ideas about reeds for that specific sound. Whatever you choose, that Keilwerth is, in my opinion, a good horn for that timbre. Remember to play from the souls (pun intended) of your shoes to get that fatty blast of sound!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by justplay
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you for your reply, some of the things you suggest are a common thread from others, toward the sound I am looking for, again much appreciation... justplay

Reply To Post

1. by HappySax
        (23 posts)

17 years ago

I have cut my teeth on the sound of King Curtis...what a great attack on a great sound! When attempting to get that sound I have always added a little growl with shaping the presentation. I play a 100/0 Metal Berg larson ( has a hi baffel) I find though that you can get the sound with almost any mpc. I do find that if you imagine picking a guitar aggressively when soloing it helps in the attack....have fun. Happysax

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by justplay
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you for the input, your experience has confirmed a few of the things I have tried to produce this sound...and they work...I just need to practice them and put them to use. Like most sax players I too have a mouth piece collection, and all of them do project, to some degree the sound I want, my latest is a rovner *9L, with a plastic coated reed, or a fibracell reed, and wow I 'm gettin close..thanks again, justplay

Reply To Post