Saxophone Forum

by SaxNoob
(19 posts)
17 years ago

What's "growling"?

i was wondering what growling was and can anyone tell me techiques on the saxophone to make it sound really cool when playing solo?? any techniques

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Re: What's "growling"?

I get it from a combination of loosening my lip and then literally growling when I blow into it. However, others may do it differently. I don't thinkm there is only one way to do it.

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

17 years ago

Hi SaxNoob, Just hum while you play and you'll get that growl sound. Also, flutter tonguing is good for distortion. Good luck with that :) Terry

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

17 years ago

Altimssimo multiphonics are a really cool way to get a growl, but they're pretty hard to do. Whenever you hear Michael Brecker or David Sanborn play a screamin' high note, its probably that. There are special fingerings for altissimo multiphonics. The one I had the easiest time getting down was high G#. I use 123/*** with the side C, or *23/*23. It'll take a while to learn, but thats a really cool effect.

Reply To Post

4. by SaxJazz42
    (9 posts)

17 years ago

The first post mostly has it- growling comes from the interference that occurs when two pitches are played at the same time. The way to do it is to sing a pitch through the horn whilst playing a different pitch. singing a minor third below the fingered pitch seems to work well for me. My professor says he tries to sing something non-descript, something very gutteral and low. that works for him. for a great example of a well placed and well executed growl- check out Ben Webster on Cottontail (with Duke Ellington's band). Hope that helps-

Reply To Post