Saxophone Forum

by andy hutton
(4 posts)
17 years ago

hello,new member would like advice on what alto to get next

i have had a Earlham student sax for 5 years and i am now at grade 5 in england. for my 25th wedding present my wife what me to get a better model . My tutor suggests a 1936 Conn (which is what he plays ) (he has one that needs renovating or a new Yanagisawa A991 or 992. I am not very much into improvising, but very much prefere playing music from sheets. any help on which or what I should get would be appreciated. regards from england.(where it is very wet today)!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: hello,new member would like advice on what alto to get next

Andy- Let me get this straight - Your instructor wants to sell you his old Conn, therefore he highly recommends it? Does this sound funny to you? A Conn 6M (I prefer the 1940's models, but to each his own) might be a fine choice. You must understand that the keywork may take some getting used to. Along more modern lines, would you consider a 1950's or 1960's Selmer Mark VI? The pro-line Martins of the 1940's and 1950's sound good, as do the King Zephyr Special and Super 20 horns of the same era. The thing about getting an old horn is that you might spend as much as a newer one and have more problems. A new or near new Selmer Paris Super 80 or Reference horn might be a more proper choice for you. The newer Yanagisiwa and Yamaha pro-line horns are good too. I wish you good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
      (602 posts)

17 years ago

Just make sure if you get a new Selmer that its set up good...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Are finances a consideration? If so, a Selmer Mark VI might be out of the question. Honestly, I wouldn't buy one if I had the money. My Conn 6m is just fine, thank you. Is your instructor trying to sell you the one he plays, or another one like it? If it's another one like it, I can see where he would recommend it--if it can be gotten into good playable condition. I know nothing of the Yani, but have heard good things.

Reply To Post

3. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Are finances a consideration? If so, a Selmer Mark VI might be out of the question. Honestly, I wouldn't buy one if I had the money. My Conn 6m is just fine, thank you. Is your instructor trying to sell you the one he plays, or another one like it? If it's another one like it, I can see where he would recommend it--if it can be gotten into good playable condition. I know nothing of the Yani, but have heard good things.

Reply To Post

1. by andy hutton
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

thanks for the help, money is not really a problem, I want a good sax which will last for years. The Conn i have been offered is not the one my tutor plays , it is one he has to sell. I think i need to try and get to play a few, if the shops etc will let me thanks again andy

Reply To Post

1. by Donnie The B
          (282 posts)

17 years ago

Test playing a bunch of different horns is definitely in order. Find a good music store or two. Take your own mouthpiece and several reeds. Take some cleaning supplies. At least offer to dry out and clean off the horns you play. That will be likely to make them more accomodating to your testing. Take at least several minutes with each horn. Play whole notes top to bottom to begin. Play arpeggios to note the action. Take notes - you think you'll remember differences but you might have trouble if they have many or similar horns. I suspect you'll come to the conclusion that you may as well have a new sax. If you like the sound and action of an old horn better, then you are like many of us around here - old guys with old saxophones. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

And some of us old guys aren't guys!

Reply To Post

3. by saxmachine777
          (57 posts)

17 years ago

I have an addendum to Donnie's otherwise perfect post, that is while play testing horns, especially the first few, play: Low before high, softly before loudly, and slowly before fast. It really helps to have a loose routine to help remember strengths and weaknesses in horns, and to help you and the horn to warm up while you get a bit used to the individual instruments. Happy hunting.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by BahamaJo
          (1 post)

17 years ago

I play a 1936 Conn 6M and it is sweet. I would never play anything else.

Reply To Post

5. by andy hutton
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

thanks for all your help I think it will be the 1936 Conn, it sounds great,regards andy in england

Reply To Post