Saxophone Forum

by slimsaxman
(12 posts)
17 years ago

achieving a growl or "dirty" sound

I'm a newbie here (though I'm not that young). Most of the time, l play tenor in a blues band, and I'd like to develop a "dirtier" sound when playing with these guys. Specifically, I'd like to achieve the kind of tone heard from Earl Bostic, and more recently, from people like Clarence Clemons. I know that Bostic supposedly used a tenor reed with an alto. I haven't tried that yet. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Firk
    (31 posts)

17 years ago

Re: achieving a growl or "dirty" sound

i use a tenor reed(java 3 1/2) on my alto(rubber link 5*). jeff coffin(saxophonist of bela fleck and the flecktones) had suggested it to me. great full open sound and lots of projection. he uses a jumbo java mouthpiece i believe with a vandoren ligature(he's endorsed by vandoren. yamaha too for that matter). anyway, yea those tenor reeds give me a very "tenory" sound and i really dig it. peace, ~Firk

Reply To Post

1. by saxmachine777
      (57 posts)

17 years ago

Aside from literal changes to the setup to achieve the sound you want, just try to voice through the horn the husk that you want to hear. You want a growl, throw a gutteral grunting hum into the horn and channel it to the bell. Try thinking about how Brian Johnson from AC/DC makes his voice sound the way it does, and take that angry, husky blow to the sax. Good luck, George

Reply To Post AIM

1. by slimsaxman
        (12 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks. I've tried that in the past without success, but I'l persevere!

Reply To Post

2. by slimsaxman
      (12 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks. I didn't know Coffin used that kind of setup, but I've admired him. I actually play on a Yamaha Custom Z tenor with a Vandoren Java mthpc. I've got a Rovner leather lig. and I've thought about trying a metal lig. for a little brighter sound. Think I'll try the unorthodox reed setup on my alto and see what happens.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

I can't imagine gettng a good seal using a tenor reed on an alto mouthpiece. I'll have to try it some time.

Reply To Post

1. by HappySax
          (23 posts)

17 years ago

just practicing humming while blowing...you can get the sound with any mouthpiece and reed setup(cheaper too!)...give it a try ...once you get it, it will be easy to do..attack with a hum!...happysax

Reply To Post Yahoo!