Saxophone Forum

by jayharden
(4 posts)
17 years ago

Wurlitzer MARTIN Handcraft ALTO SAX or Buescher Aristocrat or 400

I am new to this site at least as a member i have from time to time peeked in on discussions on the site and to get tips and links. I am moving from a student horn but dont have much money to spend. I am looking at a Wurlitzer Martin Handcraft (vintage so I'm told) which has been overhauled also 2 Beuscher aristocrats (approx. 1978 for one and 1983 model for the other). Also there is a Loomis / Buescher silver low pitch alto (approx 1923). I´ve heard good things about Buescher but just want to hear some feedback from anyone that has some knowledge because I need help. Not much money but want something that is good enough for line playing and an occasional solo in soul music.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Wurlitzer MARTIN Handcraft ALTO SAX or Buescher Aristocrat or 400

Jay- I would advise against any of the old horns you mention. Buescher made fine Saxes until about the mid- 1960's. Later models are not as highly regarded. The Martin pro-line of horns from the 1940's and 1950's are nice sounding. The Conn 6m of the 1930's through the early 1950's is one of the most highly thought of saxes. The Late 1920's and early 1930's Conns were good too, although you might find the keywork alignment hard to get used to. The 1923 Buescher/Loomis stencil and the Martin Handcraft era stencil for Wurlitzer probably would not be good ideas. I have seen nice condition pro-line 1940's and 1950's Bueschers and Martins sell for $700-$1200 recently. The 6m Conns tend to be higher priced, as do the King Zephyr Special and Super 20 horns of the 1940's and 1950's. But I would think your best bet is a lightly used modern horn, Yamaha 52 or 62 or Selmer Super 80 or Yanigisiwa. Just check around where used saxophones are sold - here at Saxquest, eBay, WorldwideSax, Junkdude and etc. Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by jayharden
      (4 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Wurlitzer MARTIN Handcraft ALTO SAX or Buescher Aristocrat or 400

Hello Thanx for the advice. A friend of mine actually gave me the same advice. So I am saving up money now to go with something newer. jay

Reply To Post