Saxophone Forum

by saxygreen
(5 posts)
20 years ago

Creston Concerto

Hi all. I'm new to the saxquest world. I'm having problems finding a recording of the Creston Concerto. I've got the Sonata but I need the Concerto. I've just begun working on it and I would like a recording because I've never heard most of it before and it can't hurt to build my library right? So if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Creston Concerto

Sorry to state the obvious, but if you go to Amazon.com and search "Creston Concerto", you'll get a list - the one at the top of the list had what you're looking for. There seems to be some sax snobs out there critiquing it to pieces, but I'm guessing they can't play it themselves.

1. by saxygreen
      (5 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you, but the Creston Concerto is in fact not on there. It's the Creston Sonata, but thank you anyway.

1. by divesta
        (11 posts)

20 years ago

I know that the NASA (North American Saxophone Alliance) website has a list of classical recordings. I don't know if you have checked that out or not, but it may be on there. The website I believe is www.nasa.org. If not, do a google search on North American Saxophone Alliance and you should be able to find it.

1. by saxygreen
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

I looked but couldn't find it....what a drag....

2. by divesta
          (11 posts)

20 years ago

The only recording on-line that I could find of the Creston Concerto is called Soliloquy and Dale Underwood is playing it. I don't know anything else about the recording or the saxophonist, but if you want to check it out I found it at www.allclassical.com, it's kind of like the all music guide for classical. I think found the sight through the All Music Guide (www.allmusic.com) I hope that helps a little.

3. by saxygreen
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you. I did happen to run across that last night. I also found a random site of this guy who is restoring old recordings of a series of Stokowski concerts. He had a recording from 1945 of James Abato playing the concerto (actually a year after he premiered it). Thank you for everyone's help. Mission accomplished....

4. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

I know that this topic is prob dead after looking at the dates; but if this guy found a recording of Jimmy Abato playing anything its prob great!

5. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

what is the site?

6. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

Chiamac: Dont know. You might have to email the guy directly. If you find out would you please post it? Thank You, Wes

7. by saxygreen
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

8. by wianno
          (2 posts)

20 years ago

I believe you'll find the concerto performed by Dale Underwood on his Soliloquy CD available at Dorn's site. JD