Saxophone Forum

by jillybean_altosax
(10 posts)
17 years ago

Vandoren Hand Select Reeds?

Hey so I was curious if anyone has purchased the Vandoren Hand Selected reeds... Are they worth the extra $20? Where I purchase reeds I can SOMETIMES open the box, and pick the ones out that I want, but not always... and I can usually only get 2 or 3 at a time. So the question, are they worth it? I normally play on ZZ for Alto Sax.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Vandoren Hand Select Reeds?

where do you get these, i have never seen them, but i am very intrigued

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jillybean_altosax
      (10 posts)

17 years ago

I have seen them a couple places online, but this is the site I have open currently: www.usareeds.com/select.html

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

I can't say anything about the current state of hand-selects, but I did purchase them about 12-13 years ago when I was in graduate school (of course, it wasn't a $20 difference back in those days) . . . I was playing a lot more legit in those days, and was pretty persnickety about blue box reeds. At the time, I had about a 70-80% reject rate per box for normal blue box, but with the hand selects I had closer to a 50% reject rate. Nowadays, it really doesn't matter all that much, since I don't play nearly as much legit as I used to, so I just buy the regular blue box (plus I'm not as persnickety anymore. I end up using most of the reeds in the box, since I am able to adapt to the varying conditions easier nowadays). If you're willing to spend the money as an experiment, well it doesn't hurt to try them at least once, but I am of the mind that if your playing is developed well-enough, you should be able to play on most anything. One problem that can arise from working hard to dial-in your reeds is the contentment that can come about from having a nice sound rather than trying hard to make something wonderful. I recently had a discussion about this very topic with a fellow colleague who is an oboe professor on the east coast, and he had an experience in his graduate school days where his mentors actually liked his playing less when he had his reeds in shape . . . something to think about . . .

Reply To Post

1. by jillybean_altosax
      (10 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for your input :) My problem is that they just don't play right, even if I adjust my ligature, the reed its self, or my ombrasure. :P I do agree that if you're well developed enough you can play on anything. Unfortunately, I haven't reached that point... partially because I am biased against certain reeds. *cough*rico*cough* ;) My other concern is I play on ZZ, because they work the best I have found for my Jupiter Artist Series Alto and my otto link mp and the vandoren optimum ligature on the jazz setting. heh. I suppose my contemplating continues. Thanks!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Ronish
        (8 posts)

17 years ago

What`s an ombrasure?

Reply To Post

2. by selmer 4evr
      (309 posts)

17 years ago

Hey Jillybean ,,your problem is not a reed problem it is an air pressure issue ,,,not enough of it ,,,sax players in general play with less than required air pressure ,,,the sax itself encourages this false security ,,,,,develop increased pressure in your playing and watch your box of reeds become playable to about 90% Need to know more email me ?

Reply To Post

3. by musicroxmysox2009
      (3 posts)

17 years ago

I would not waste the money. I use the regular Van Doren Traditionals and I have a pretty good success rate. Sometimes a little extra soaking and forcing yourself to play on tougher reeds helps. Oh and I think whoever said ombrasure meant embouchure.

Reply To Post

4. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

17 years ago

i have also picked up the craft of reed shaping. now, there isnt a vandoren i play thata doesnt get hacked by my knife. i buy my reeds too thick and shave them to my precise needs. i would like to try these reeds, but for $20, i dont know if they are worth it. right now, i can get all but one or two to play beautifully out of a box of ten.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM