Saxophone Forum

by newreedsyndrome
(343 posts)
17 years ago

That Sigurd Rascher Guy...

Where can I find recordings of Sigurd Rascher? He's supposed to be the zenith of classical saxophone, the paragon of musique savante, the live-all end-all of the universe, but I still haven't heard the cat blow (saxophonist perform, for all you sophisto.....CATS).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bleeding gums
    (18 posts)

17 years ago

Re: That Sigurd Rascher Guy...

I've never been able to get my hands on any sort of rascher recordings. I know that Paul Cohen out in NY has some, he's got tons of legit sax memorabilia.

Reply To Post

1. by OANegrin
      (26 posts)

17 years ago

I did a search of the known CD reissues of Rascher recordings on Amazon, and sadly noticed that there are none available right now (except for an overpriced used Coates Saxo-Rhapsody recording). Email me at bachangel(at)hotmail(dot)com, and I may be able to help. Angel

Reply To Post

2. by snowgoose
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Sigurd Rascher put out one or two records, probably in the 60's. I had one and left it in Seattle when I moved back East, drat. Bad decision. I'll never forget the way he sounded - as I recall he played vintage Bueschers - as I heard him many times, was a friend of the family. Anyway, to date, the family has not seen fit to reissue the recordings. I hope they do!

Reply To Post

3. by futoku
    (5 posts)

16 years ago

I can't find any, either... Just one video of the Rascher Quartet on YouTube, although I don't think that Rascher is playing in it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by barisax999
      (400 posts)

16 years ago

i have a couple rascher recordings and one cd of his quartet. i got them from my professor who has been compiling classical saxophone recordings for many decades. so as far i know there arent any being published. generally i dont like ripping music, but if you cant get it any other way. music needs to be heard, especially by such a master player. i have recordings of him on the ibert and dahl concertos. he plays the first part of the second movment up the 8va and plays it absolutely perfectly.... and its LIVE.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by MODSAX
    (1 post)

16 years ago

If want to know more about Rascher, and his recordings, one of Rascher's students is giving a clinic at Music showcase in Brandon on May 10th, 2008. Email me forthe info.

Reply To Post

1. by mgictwnger
      (46 posts)

8 years ago

Do a search for him on YouTube. There are several, including some ads he did for Buescher.

Reply To Post